Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: How Does Helmuth not get punch in the mouth?

I dont care if Phil is 7 foot. He has about as much intimidation factor as Manute Bol who is 7'6. The Pilsbury Dough Boy has more intimidation that Helmuth. Phil would fold like a lawn chair against anyone in an altercation. He is just not wired for a confrontation beyond words.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM

On the episode of PAD when he freaked out because Huck Seed and Sheikhan wouldn't stop talking (really it was Huck who kept talking after P asked Sheik to shut up) they sat around afterward and talked about Hellmuth's "borderline personality disorder" (Seed's phrase). Zolotow told P that his trap plays were only trapping himself. These people, with the exception of Sheikhan (who has gotten into fights with other people) just wanted to be above it. I don't think they were in any great danger of letting it get to them. They just felt he was clearly out of line to the point of being silly. Many people figure out that ignoring him makes them look more dignified. They are smart enough to not go on tilt. He may be trying to do that to people, but I think it's really he who is tilting.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 AM

I haven't been in a fight since college, but if I was sitting at a table with PM and he started insulting me right to my face, as I've seen him do many times, I'd tell him to STFU or I was going to beat his ass in front of all the TV cameras.

Matusow is even worse, however. I love how he insults people right to their face and then throws out his hand to shake hands. WTF you just called me an idiot, GTFO with your hand. Don't you have to call your parole officer?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

I realize the OP probably isn't an experienced player and is more likely a casual viewer. His post count partly confirms this. That being the case, I'll be fair about it.

In all honestly, this topic has been done to death. It's so friggin boring I can't believe I'm even bothering to respond to this thread. Yes, Hellmuth talks trash a lot. Yes, he's egotistical and insulting to people. Yes, people don't like it. No, he's not going to stop. ESPN has been hammering this storyline for over four years already. We get the picture, now move on. He's a great player who has an attitude, thats simply how some people are. The act is contrived for the cameras most of the time and is barely insulting. You think calling someone a donkey is any sort of fantastic insult? Pretty mild to be up in arms about. The whole Hellmuth angle is simply overplayed and utterly uninteresting by now. Might be a good idea at some point to stop having 95 threads on it every time he says something.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 PM

I realize it's been done to death, but I cannot for the life of me understand why people just sit there and do nothing as he insults them right to their face.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, here in the civilized world, we try to settle minor disputes with words. We aren't ALL drunken idiots at bars throwing stools around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in most cases, I agree, and Hellmuth, while annoying, never seems to approach anything remotely resembling what would be called "fightin' words".

On the other hand, certain talk, like wrongly impugning someone's character or suggesting he was a cheat (like Prahlad with Lisandro last year) does cross that line, and often the person doing the talking needs to be politely informed that if the talk keeps up, things will be settled in a "less civilized" manner. As Lisandro did with Prahlad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Helmuth spews "fighting words" all the time. Callimg people morons, idiots, and the like, WILL get your ass beat in real life.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM

he probably has been beat down alot before just not talked about on tv. Also, he's not just doing it for tv he was definitely doing it before poker blew up, there are old clips from early 90s of him berating players and other old time veterans say he's always been that way.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, here in the civilized world, we try to settle minor disputes with words. We aren't ALL drunken idiots at bars throwing stools around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in most cases, I agree, and Hellmuth, while annoying, never seems to approach anything remotely resembling what would be called "fightin' words".

On the other hand, certain talk, like wrongly impugning someone's character or suggesting he was a cheat (like Prahlad with Lisandro last year) does cross that line, and often the person doing the talking needs to be politely informed that if the talk keeps up, things will be settled in a "less civilized" manner. As Lisandro did with Prahlad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Helmuth spews "fighting words" all the time. Callimg people morons, idiots, and the like, WILL get your ass beat in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If I had been that guy standing there when he said "these morons can't even spell poker," it would have been go time.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If I had been that guy standing there when he said "these morons can't even spell poker," it would have been go time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Why would it have been go time?

That just sounds like an idiot or moron to me and if you were a player at the table when he said that I can guarantee you wouldn't fight him (although it would make for one helluva ESPN broadcast). And you are then not going to be able to play your top game because he's already in your head. Therefore making his strategy a very good one. I wonder how he won 11?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Not that I would have punched him right then, but I definitely would have gotten in his face and demanded an apology.

I may be a moron, but Mr. 11 Bracelet doesn't get to call me that until he knows me well enough.