Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Reasonable Assertions About Personal God Except One

[ QUOTE ]
6. Among the remaining people. Those who love, honor, respect, revere, and worship him, he continues to give mixed messages. More detailed messages than the mere fact he exists and is there for mankind. And just like the messages regarding his existence, the truth is not clearcut. Especially to the person on the street who relies on the clergyman they grew up with. So what? This God wants more than just love respect and devotion. He wants you to be part of the ten percent or so who follow those who have studied his word and interpretted it the way he meant it. If your clergyman's interpretation is a tad off from that you are still OK. If however, its off by more than a little bit, it matters not that you love honor and obey him to the best of your ability. Off to hell you go.

Maybe its just me. But I have a problem with #6.

[/ QUOTE ]

David - God or lack thereof is about God. You are not talking about God, you are talking about the interpretation of a series of written documents commonly referred to as "Christianity" in one form or another. You are mostly talking about fundie theology, which is hardly worthy of the name.

As I have stated elsewhere and would be happy to demonstrate - Jesus never said anyone was going to hell. He never said the word hell, not even a Greek equivalent of it in terms of anyone being sent there.

You are absolutely correct that what you have written makes no sense whatsover.

Now, as for Supreme Being. The Hindu have a name for God "neti-neti" which translates: "not this - not this." It means if you go throughout the universe and point to everything there is, God is nothing you can point to.

God as nothingness is a very mystical concept common to every form of mysticism I ever heard of.

No hell, David. Jesus (notwithstanding a history of bad translation and pagan ideas like hell) never said anyone was going to hell.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Please Stop Talking About Assertions 1-5

Fine.

My point is that from our perspective 6 is really no more improbably than 1-5, however more absurd 6 might sound.

So which world is more likely to actually exists exactly as portrayed by the author, Token’s Middle Earth, or Terry Pratchet’s Diskworld?

Fantasy’s fantasy.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that from our perspective 6 is really no more improbably than 1-5, however more absurd 6 might sound.

So which world is more likely to actually exists exactly as portrayed by the author, Token’s Middle Earth, or Terry Pratchet’s Diskworld?

Fantasy’s fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in a world without God, Piers, it's a world created by your own fantasy, as you have no evidence of "not-god." Atheism is a choice, not perfect perception.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fantasy’s fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in a world without God, Piers, it's a world created by your own fantasy, as you have no evidence of "not-god." Atheism is a choice, not perfect perception.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in a world without the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it's a world created by your own fantasy, as you have no evidence of "not-Flying Spaghetti Monster."
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you have evidence for God, eh? Amusing.

The very fact that there's no evidence FOR God is already quite strong evidence against his existence, as David explained in his exodus and crossdressers thread.

But in any case, you can't disproof the celestial teapot, or the flying spaghetti monster, or the faeries at the bottom of the river, santa claus, the giant turtle-head king, or any other figment of my imagination. Please think before you post something in this forum, would you?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean cmon. I'm trying to make a point here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just trying to work out what the point is exactly.

At a guess (and please correct me if I've misunderstood), could it be paraphrased as "When Christians tell you you're going to Hell because you're not of their religious denomination, you shouldn't believe them because it doesn't make any sense."?

This seems a simple and obvious point, although I suppose there are some unfortunate brainwashed people who might believe otherwise. Probably not too many of them browsing internet poker forums though.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(There's something about 2 metal plates very close in a vaccuum - the pressure or other interactions of the created particles can be observed...here's where I become clueless)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the Casimir effect
Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel qualified, but my understanding is that, in a true vacuum trillions and trillions of electrons and other subatomic particles spontaneously spring into existence, paired with a corresponding antimatter particle. They then rapidly annihilate, but I understand that if this is prevented in some way the effect of their existence (something coming from nothing) can be observed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Their is some discussion of this here..

Mostly at the start and the pair production section. I know David hates rigor but making statements like "Nothing can't create something" which may "seem" obvious is anything but obvious when you look at fundamental physics.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 AM

If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you have evidence for God, eh? Amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be absurd. Do you believe for a moment I care what you think? Or would spend a second typing anything to convince you of something?

The fact is, your unbelief is as much an action of faith as any theists. You can't even define the God you don't believe in.

[ QUOTE ]
Please think before you post something in this forum, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You first.