Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Flopped 8s full, then I freeze up

[ QUOTE ]
Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

In live games, people love to play ace-rag in limped pots, whether suited or unsuited, as well as suited trash like Q8s. So A8o and Q8s are certainly possible. Maybe non-8 hands that don't have a boat will call if you reraise, but they probably just fold. So, I'd think a big raise would fold out everything except maybe AQ, K8s, J8s, 78s, 22, and AA/QQ/Q8/A8.

Maybe that's a wide enough range to push and expect +EV when he calls without other informaiton, but his, "I guess you don't have the 8" thing is probably an indication of strength rather than weakness because it seems to indicated that an 8 would beat him. Caro's "Strength means weakness, and weakness means strength" rule of thumb would lead me to believe he WANTS you to have an 8 a pretty good percentage of the time.

So, I'd say call.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

In live games, people love to play ace-rag in limped pots, whether suited or unsuited. A8 and Q8 are certainly possible. Maybe non-8 hands that don't have a boat will call if you reraise, but they probably just fold.

His, "I guess you don't have the 8" thing is probably an indication of strength rather than weakness because it seems to indicated that an 8 would beat him. Caro's "Strength means weakness, and weakness means strength" rule of thumb would lead me to believe he WANTS you to have an 8 a pretty good percentage of the time.

So, I'd say call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful though, "Strength means weakness, and weakness means strength" is only if he is acting. It's all in how he said it I guess. I've found alot of times live players aren't trying to be deceptive, they just talk. I'm not saying don't consider it, just have to be careful.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

In live games, people love to play ace-rag in limped pots, whether suited or unsuited. A8 and Q8 are certainly possible. Maybe non-8 hands that don't have a boat will call if you reraise, but they probably just fold.

His, "I guess you don't have the 8" thing is probably an indication of strength rather than weakness because it seems to indicated that an 8 would beat him. Caro's "Strength means weakness, and weakness means strength" rule of thumb would lead me to believe he WANTS you to have an 8 a pretty good percentage of the time.

So, I'd say call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed at the micros that weakness means weakness when it comes to bet sizing, I reraise all donk bets that are 1/10 of the pot on the flop and I'd say 97% of the time they fold or they call and try it again on the turn to which I reraise them again (assuming their flush didn't hit) and they fold. There is the rare occasion someone does this with a monster and you get burned, but it is ++++EV at 50NL and below for sure.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm shoving this boat no questions asked. If he's got a better boat, then I rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm late to the party, but there's no way I'm not shoving this.

Also, my brain says bet the flop, though I know in the heat of battle my right hand will tap the felt and I'd check before I had time to think about it....
Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed at the micros that weakness means weakness when it comes to bet sizing, I reraise all donk bets that are 1/10 of the pot on the flop and I'd say 97% of the time they fold or they call and try it again on the turn to which I reraise them again (assuming their flush didn't hit) and they fold. There is the rare occasion someone does this with a monster and you get burned, but it is ++++EV at 50NL and below for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100% on the flop and turn. Early in the hand they're often blocking bets with draws or weak made hands and I do the same as you and blast back with a big raise in position (especially online micros).

On the river, though, I think min raises often indicate value bets. A min raise on the river, when he has position, almost always means he wants a call.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, my brain says bet the flop, though I know in the heat of battle my right hand will tap the felt and I'd check before I had time to think about it....

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight I wish I had too, as we'd have gotten all the moneys in by the river, but on a rainbow junk board like that I figured I wouldn't get any action, especially in a limped pot where it was unlikely someone held 99 or JJ.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100% on the flop and turn. Early in the hand they're often blocking bets with draws or weak made hands and I do the same as you and blast back with a big raise in position (especially online micros).

On the river, though, I think min raises often indicate value bets. A min raise on the river, when he has position, almost always means he wants a call.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight I wish I had too, as we'd have gotten all the moneys in by the river, but on a rainbow junk board like that I figured I wouldn't get any action, especially in a limped pot where it was unlikely someone held 99 or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Caveat. I agree. Min river raises are much scarier.