Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Opinion on single men wearing a \"wedding ring\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: and what do you plan to say if someone asks you a question relating to your marriage?

"Oh, I'm not married."

"Oh... really? Then why are you wearing a wedding ring?"

???

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's my deceased father's wedding band. Sorry if I offended you by wearing it."

That will shut them right up.

It's slightly shady, but I doubt most will care one way or the other about your marital status. In fact, single workers are less expensive for the company because the company will not be insuring any dependents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be comforted by someone wearing their dead father's wedding ring while they are single.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what happens when you get the job and they find out you aren't married?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the ones assuming that I'm married. I never pretend that I am or say anything that infers that I am. You only wear the ring during the interview anyway. You don't wear it when you show up to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "implies," and wearing a metal band on the ring finger of your left hand is a signal that you are married, because there is no other reason to do so.

I agree you are not technically announcing you are married, but don't pretend you're not being somewhat deceitful with this little ruse.

Edit: and what do you plan to say if someone asks you a question relating to your marriage?

"Oh, I'm not married."

???

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking about your marraige staus is illegal. That wont happen.

Personal experience

eight job interviews before getting married, zero job offers.

Three interviews since getting married, two job offers, and to be fair the one interview I didn't get an offer for was a phone interview while on my honeymoon in Jamaica where I had been water skiing/ drinking less then 30 minutes before the interview.

Ken
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what happens when you get the job and they find out you aren't married?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the ones assuming that I'm married. I never pretend that I am or say anything that infers that I am. You only wear the ring during the interview anyway. You don't wear it when you show up to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "implies," and wearing a metal band on the ring finger of your left hand is a signal that you are married, because there is no other reason to do so.

I agree you are not technically announcing you are married, but don't pretend you're not being somewhat deceitful with this little ruse.

"Oh, I'm not married."

???

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking about your marraige staus is illegal. That wont happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, asking "are you married?" would be a violation, but I'm pretty sure seeing a wedding ring and asking something like "What is your wife's name?" is not illegal.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Plus, people do things that are against the law all the time. Something being against the law is miles away from making it something people don't do.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 PM

If you have trouble getting laid...wearing a wedding ring out to the bars will fix that problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With every post we get a little closer to the plot for "Tootsie". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OP I have interviewed many people and I think you are grossly overestimating the advantages of being perceived as married. Most interviewers are trying to make sure you are a)competent and b)not crazy. There are plenty of incompetent+crazy married guys, so it's not like a ring means all that much.

The fact that you would consider this would make me not hire you, if I knew about it in advance. It seems kinda shady and I would not want to hire a shady person.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With every post we get a little closer to the plot for "Tootsie". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP I have interviewed many people and I think you are grossly overestimating the advantages of being perceived as married. Most interviewers are trying to make sure you are a)competent and b)not crazy. There are plenty of incompetent+crazy married guys, so it's not like a ring means all that much.

The fact that you would consider this would make me not hire you, if I knew about it in advance. It seems kinda shady and I would not want to hire a shady person.

[/ QUOTE ]

hooray, someone who cares about integrity.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but isnt interesting how HE thinks? I mean the OP might be getting a lot of confidence by simply putting on a ring, which translated in higher % chance of coming across like you described.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:36 AM

If anyone asks about the ring, just say it's a purity ring or your a die hard Lord of the Rings fan.