Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Brag: Coaching with fslexcduck

Wouldnt ducks hourly at these tables be more than 400? Seems like youre getting basically free coaching.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM

one time i helped duck coach bakes and he won like $20k in a tourney the next day.

pm me.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt ducks hourly at these tables be more than 400? Seems like youre getting basically free coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is always the case though, its 0 variance, decent +EV for the coach and very high variance but close to 0EV for the student.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM

ill take nextgennno any day. DUCY?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM

If I can have someone excellent play on my account within my BR (obv +EV) and I get to watch and learn how to do it myself (++++EV), I'm going to jump at that opportunity.

chances are their EV in an hour of play at decent stakes is greater than their hourly rate they charge for the coaching.

3tabling 2/4 seems like her hourly is prob alot bigger than $350. This deal is so +EV.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol I just figured out how this "coaching" works. Sounds an awful lot like "staking" except that the sucker, I mean BACKER, doesn't get to criticize the teacher's play.

PM me if anyone wants me to coach them at .25-.50 NL. I play 1-2 so I must be better than you. 100% no risk ldo.

--GA

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some of you need to try coaching with a good coach before jumping to conclusions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is true, i do the same thing essentially, except i play and ansky tells me what to do, the coaching sessions pay for themself and then some but i always feel like i am 10x better than i was before the session just from things i learn. if you can get a good coach and afford it, it is probably one of the fastest ways to improve your game.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:55 PM

it was 4k! i don't teach math fwiw, just poker.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM

fwiw, i think the coach playing on the student's account is a very bad idea - but several smart coaches do it so i could definitely be mistaken. i just dont think it helps the student as much as other methods would and i also think it could be pretty ugly if the coach makes moves the student disagrees with that end up working out poorly...
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM

i dunno, i think it's understood that whatever happens happens and your student needs to have confidence in you to trust you to play.

i would coach a 2/4 student much differently than a 10/20 student, so if i'm playing my normal stakes i don't think an MSNL player is really going to get the most out of it. Also, for me coaching is just stress-free money, so I don't mind giving someone else my hourly in the case that I do run bad (see today's BBV post). It's emotionally very refreshing.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does seem like an odd situation though...wouldn't it just be better all around for her to play on her own account? Makes no sense for her to make you 2k while you're the one paying her 700$ to teach you. Also would be a bad spot if you lost money playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesnt make sense for her to risk her own money while teaching someone else how to play. The student should be the one risking something here, since they are the ones who want to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree. I want to pay $700 for 2 hours of coaching, not $700 and possibly more. Now I understand that since shes +EV in the games it basically just means im not actually paying $700 for 2 hours, but some number less than that. Just seems odd to me, why doesnt she just charge whatever number that is and play on her own account? It avoids some akward situations and the student prolly learns more and pays better attention when he isnt excited hes up 3K or down 2K. Id rather just focus on the coaching and not worry about the variance.

Plus its retarded from her standpoint, she obviously makes $X per hours playing, why not charge $350/hour for the coaching play on her own account and get the 2 hours of her hourly as well.