Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Is this an angle-shot?

Clover362, I understand and agree with what you're saying, but I don't think OP says young guy tabled his hand immediately. In fact, if that's the case then he did everything reasonable NOT to shoot an angle.

The whole reason people are treating it as an angle shot, AFAICT, is because he said, "Take it," then neither mucked nor tabled his hand.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clover362, I understand and agree with what you're saying, but I don't think OP says young guy tabled his hand immediately. In fact, if that's the case then he did everything reasonable NOT to shoot an angle.

The whole reason people are treating it as an angle shot, AFAICT, is because he said, "Take it," then neither mucked nor tabled his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
At river young guy tells old guy "Take it", and flips over his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Sorry, I'm just blind as a bat. Thanks for clarifying.

I don't understand the hubbub then. What kind of angleshooter tables a hand when trying to trick someone into folding? The old guy really is pretty clueless if he didn't think he needed to show a hand.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM

It's clearly an angle shot, the young kid is an a-hole and should be kicked square in the nuts. Old guy gets a nut-kicking for being stupid enough to fall for such bullpucky. Someone says "take it," I wait till the dealer has their hand MUCKED before my death grip on my cards lets up.

If those cards never hit the muck, old guy gets the pot. If they hit the muck because they were properly mucked by the dealer, young guy gets it. The whole lot of 'em gets a nut-kicking tho. Either way the young guy gets a very stern warning for unethical behavior from me.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 AM

"Take it" doesn't mean fold, if he's showing his cards it means he wants to see whether he won, if he was folding he would just muck them. Old guy is dumb =/
Old 08-14-2007, 02:50 AM

tabling his hand immediately seems like he's purposefully NOT trying to shoot an angle.

i'd be pissed too if i tabled a hand and said ANYTHING to the effect of the other player probably/likely having me beat, THEN had the other player fold, THEN had the other player take their cards back from the muck and accuse me of trying to shoot an angle.

Cards speak. as long as you don't OVERDECLARE your hand, your cards are your claim to the pot when you table your hand. if your opponent folds, that's his problem. he didn't protect his hand. he willfully allowed it to be mucked.

sorry old dude. you should know better.

no kicks in the nuts for young dude.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Crazy paranoia about showing your hand really annoys me. I know poker is a game of information, but there is such a thing as taking it too far. People fold to you, you can muck all you want. But if your bet is called on the river, just show your damned hand.

Young guy tabled his hand, old guy tried to be a secretive jerk, young guy gets moneys. End of story.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM

I don't see any angle shoot here. It's pretty common for the agressor to know he's beat and say something like "good call" or "your good" but holding onto hand just in case. I have played pocket pairs like this with overs on the board, I thought I was beat but villain just had a good read that I wasn't as strong as I was representing and called down with a hand I could actually beat.

It's a showdown......old guy should table his hand, period. With that said, his hand was clearly retrievable and should play. I think old guy should get the pot, but it's not an angle shoot by young guy.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM

EVERYONE here deserves a nut-kicking.

Kid is an a-hole.

Old guy is a moron.

Dealer should have pulled mucked cards into the muck as soon as they were mucked.

Floor, once determining that Old Guy's cards were still entirely identifiable, should have awarded him the pot "in the best interests of the game."
Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Moral: Hang on to your cards until the pot is shoved your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread Winner!

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
How many times must this be said to sink in. If I ever give up winning cards before I have the pot, I hope some one is there to give me a hard KITN