Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Another Race Question

Put a black man, a jewish man, and a chinese on the same room.

I will bet all my money against 100$ of your money that I can identify which is which.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I will bet all my money against 100$ of your money that I can identify which is which.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but that's only because of social conditioning. If you had grown up alone in the wild like Tarzan, then you wouldn't see any difference between them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if I don't try to trick you. Only if I pander to your stereotypes.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone doubt the crime rate, out of wedlock birth rates, and AIDS rates are higher among people subjectively identified as black? (Fill in your own examples for other races here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

These are cultural indicators- you're talking about sociology, not biology, and no one doubts that a social construct like race can influence behavior.

Also, "crime rate" is a statistic based on convictions. Do you doubt that U.S. police officers look a little closer at people with dark skin? I'm not saying that most of the people in jail are innocent, but rather that they are more likely to be caught if their skin isn't pink, because that's who the cops are looking at.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 AM

I bet you a 100 dollars that I can tell you what the difference is between the 'sun' and the 'moon'...

[ QUOTE ]

Ah, but that's only because of social conditioning. If you had grown up alone in the wild like Tarzan, then you wouldn't see any difference between them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 AM

A blond guy makes his blond wife pregnant. Then to his big surprise, when the baby comes out it is completely black. The guy takes the baby to the dokter and asks: is it possible that this baby is not mine, but from somebody from another race?

The dokter thinks for a while, and then answers:

"well we cannot be absolutely sure ..."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The validity of human races is a subject of much debate. The American Anthropological Association, drawing on biological research, states that "The concept of race is a social and cultural construction. . . . Race simply cannot be tested or proven scientifically," and that, "It is clear that human populations are not unambiguous, clearly demarcated, biologically distinct groups. The concept of 'race' has no validity . . . in the human species."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I see", the blond man says, "so maybe it is mine!"

"It is definetly a possibility" the dokter continues,

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
85 percent of human variation occurs within populations, and not between populations

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This distribution of skin color and its geographic patterning—with people whose ancestors lived predominantly near the equator having darker skin than those with ancestors who lived predominantly in higher latitudes—indicate that this attribute has been under strong selective pressure. Darker skin appears to be strongly selected for in equatorial regions to prevent sunburn, skin cancer, the photolysis of folate, and damage to sweat glands

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ahah" the blond man says, "and since I am living in America.."

"Exactly" the dokter answers.

Then the blond man ask: "But is it maybe possibile that it is from a Latino?"

"Well", the dokter replies...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
many parts of the United States, categories such as Hispanic or Latino are viewed to constitute a race, though others see Hispanic as a linguistic and cultural grouping coming from a variety of backgrounds. In Europe, such a distinction, suggesting that South Europeans are not European or white, would seem odd at least or possibly even insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ok, then that is not really a possibility then", the blond man answers.

"No it is not", and he continues:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem arises of distinguishing black Africans as a racial group; it doesn't work because it is a paraphyletic classification. In other words, under a phylogenetic classification, considering black Africans as a single racial group would require one to include every living person on Earth within that single African "race", because the genetic variation of the rest of the world represents essentially a single subtree within that of Africa

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]