Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Suck up, apologize, and hope for the best 27 50.00%
Fight the man! 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: i am a _____ (insert belief here)

I am the 'live and let live' type which makes me pretty liberal socially, I suppose. I know squat about economics but it seems to me that the government is spending us into the grave so I'd like to see that brought under control.

Someone tell me what label I am.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am the 'live and let live' type which makes me pretty liberal socially, I suppose. I know squat about economics but it seems to me that the government is spending us into the grave so I'd like to see that brought under control.

Someone tell me what label I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a libertarian.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM

Social democrat.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me provide you with a scenario I just thought of:

I was a keen collector of trading cards in my younger years. I would often swap cards with my middle-class counterparts during school lunch hours.

However, one day a frightfully nice chap from a working class mining family came to me and said "please, please Sir. My family is too poor to buy me these trading cards you speak of. May you give me 3 or 4 to start a collection so I too can experience your joy and privileged experience". I evaluated the situation and saw it in myself to give him half my collection. We went on to collect together thus amounting a rather terrific collection -far more than if I had kept collecting on my own accord.

Would you have opted to ask for his shoes in return for the cards? Asked him to perform monkey tricks? Asked for sexual favours in return (not a ad hominem- just serves my argument)? Or would you drill into him that if he has the inability to produce anything of equal worth to make a 'swap' -that he must resign to the fact that he may NEVER experience the joys of trading cards

I believe the latter is most evil, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus, what a strawman. Believing in voulntary trade doesn't require believing that every weakness *MUST* be exploited, every advantage pressed to the absolute max. This is like saying that anyone in favor of "trade" is in favor of price gouging. Get real.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me provide you with a scenario I just thought of:

I was a keen collector of trading cards in my younger years. I would often swap cards with my middle-class counterparts during school lunch hours.

However, one day a frightfully nice chap from a working class mining family came to me and said "please, please Sir. My family is too poor to buy me these trading cards you speak of. May you give me 3 or 4 to start a collection so I too can experience your joy and privileged experience". I evaluated the situation and saw it in myself to give him half my collection. We went on to collect together thus amounting a rather terrific collection -far more than if I had kept collecting on my own accord.

Would you have opted to ask for his shoes in return for the cards? Asked him to perform monkey tricks? Asked for sexual favours in return (not a ad hominem- just serves my argument)? Or would you drill into him that if he has the inability to produce anything of equal worth to make a 'swap' -that he must resign to the fact that he may NEVER experience the joys of trading cards

I believe the latter is most evil, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus, what a strawman. Believing in voulntary trade doesn't require believing that every weakness *MUST* be exploited, every advantage pressed to the absolute max. This is like saying that anyone in favor of "trade" is in favor of price gouging. Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats as dumb as saying; "Crime is the necessary condition of the very existence of the State". Oh wait! I guess that is the implication of an exploitative aggressive system.

Thats like saying anyone in favour of the state is indirectly in favour of theft, war and oppression. OH wait! They are!

Im sorry, but I seriously believe the implications of voulntary trade in a free-market capitalist framework results in the exploitation of every area of life , both in theory and practise.