Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Limit books

[ QUOTE ]
IMO there was very little new information in SSHE to begin with. SSHE was just a much cleaner and clearer presentation of concepts found in TOP, HPFAP and Getting the Best of It (I'm pretty sure there is a couple of essay's in this book that basically lay the foundation for a lot of SSHE - but it may have been another Sklansky book). I do not mean that to be a knock on the book in any ways as it contributes a great deal to holdem literature due to compacting all of the relevant ideas into one body of work and explaining them clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Similar concepts in ITH, just not expounded and highlighted as well as in SSH for those specific types of games.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ITH is not really introductory per se, considering many of the hand examples come from 15-30 and higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

/shrug - I have played in many 15-30+ games that play at a very introductory level.

Regardless, that is my impression of the book without ever having read it. I may be wrong. It doesn't matter to me at this point.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In todays micro/small stakes limit holdem games, how relevant are books like SSHE by ed miller? I have read through it and have not found games as described. Some of the postflop plays seem to not work as well anymore. I also have Holdem Poker which I liked but the hand groupings seem to contradict SSHE, which one should I follow?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're thinking in terms of which starting hand charts to follow, then you lack the thoughtfulness to adjust the advice SSHE to table conditions that vary from the loose-passive template that the book assumes.

This isn't robot poker, where you follow one set of instructions for a particular limit then shift gears to a different set of instructions when you change limits and a third set for a higher range of limits. How you play should be tied to the type of players at the table and not the dollar size of each bet.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:24 AM

SSHE is the best book on limit hold 'em ever written. There is no other book even in the same ball park. Admittedly the games have changed since it was written but if you really understand the concepts contained within, adapting should not be difficult.

The Stox book is great but I suspect most people here (I could be wrong about this) are not playing in the games Stox is writing about; the super aggressive shorthanded high stakes games.

As for this notion that all the limit hold 'em players on the internet are now super competent and the games are almost unbeatable, I disagree. It might be like that for Americans who only have the choice of playing at Stars or Full Tilt which are the worst rock gardens on the internet but I can assure you that for non Americans, there are still sites on the net where fish abound. Admittedly, todays fish are not the same as the weak passive calling stations Ed Miller wrote about. Now they tend to be over aggressive maniacs because they have heard that aggressive play is winning play however they are aggressive in the wrong spots and they still don't know how to lay down a hand when they are beat. The games are far from unbeatable, tougher and higher variance, yes, but not unbeatable.