Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Who\'s idea was it to hold a major in August in Oklahoma???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A high of 100 degrees with dew points in the 70s is not extreme heat!? What planet do you live on?

Ya, I thought his comment was pretty nuts, this is the hottest and stickiest it has been in the midwest in a long time. It will be a factor, enough so that meteorologists are reccomending nto to go out for too long this week here in st. louis. 115 heat or something like that here in stl.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you gotta remember, I played in this kind of heat constantly for 15 years through college and pro golf carrying my own bag most of the time. I never had a day where the heat got the best of me or affected my play in any way. This includes temperatures of close to 110.

Sure it's hot, no question there. But it's not going to effect the players at the PGA one iota on the course. Therefore, I don't consider it extreme heat, at least for the golfers. For the elderly and/or general public with little or no A/C it's a totally different story. But as far as this golf discussion goes, this is not extreme heat.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Im betting that every other comment from teh announcers, and the players will be about the heat, and its affect, so time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the TV sports caster passed out in the heat yesterday and was taken to the hospital. He is an ex OU football player no pussy for sure. I promise you it is hot as hell in Oklahoma this week.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Im betting that every other comment from teh announcers, and the players will be about the heat, and its affect, so time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well could be, but I doubt you will hear a player saying the heat affected the way he played other than the fact the ball will be flying farther. That's the only point I was trying to make, it doesn't affect the way they compete.

BO
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well could be, but I doubt you will hear a player saying the heat affected the way he played other than the fact the ball will be flying farther. That's the only point I was trying to make, it doesn't affect the way they compete.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno really, i dont think anyone is going to "ease up", but I think they will either take into account that they are probably going to fatigue much easier and change up the game plan if need be, or not, and hurt their game.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The players in good physical condition should have a clear advantage in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The THIN players in good physical condition are the ones having a heat advantage.

It's all about surface to weight ratio.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The THIN players in good physical condition are the ones having a heat advantage.

It's all about surface to weight ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, but just remebered Michelle Wie getting ill at that mens event some time back, apparently due to drinking too little water, and if anybody has got a surface to weight ratio that is her [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Not drinking enough will cause a lot of bogeys and worse. If anybody get below the level of fluids that they need to play well, they wont be able to compensate during the round and will fall far behind. If you don't start to drink before you get thirsty you're stuffed. But as most players have an eating and drinking plan for the round, I don't think many is going to suffer.

It will probably be worse for the 40+ years players in the field.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BO

[/ QUOTE ]BO, you are talking nonsense. For a start you will hear just about every European comment on it. You think Monty will be fine in this weather?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM

These guys are professionals.
They've been doing this long enough to know to stay hydrated.

It will keep bad backs looser!
There will be comments from players, only because it'll be a 'hot' topic, and they'll be asked a bunch of questions on it.

But for the vast majority, it's just one more thing to prepare for each day.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The players in good physical condition should have a clear advantage in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
There isn't a single golfer in the field that the heat will have an effect on. This is simply business as usual.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'm sure you know more about this than me. You don't think a player like Tim Herron or John Daly or Phil Mickelson is at a disadvantage in the extreme heat?

[/ QUOTE ]

please. While Phil obviously isn't in good of shape as some of the players in the field, he's not even close to being where Herron and Daly are.

Phil had actually worked really hard in the '06 offseason and throughout the year to get in better shape and is certainly fitter than he's been in a long time.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There will be comments from players, only because it'll be a 'hot' topic

[/ QUOTE ]
HI-YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yeah, you're right though - the media as always is just looking for a story, and the fact that it is really hot is a pretty good one. But these guys aren't in the middle of the goddamn Sahara, they're in the middle of a grassy golf course with unlimited access to liquids, cold towels, etc.

(I mention "grassy" golf course because those are noticeably cooler than the desert ones out here, where the desert floor radiates heat and makes things a lot hotter.)

When I was little tup I lugged my bag around in the middle of summer afternoons in Phoenix, all summer long for golf tournaments. Including the day it got to 122 here in 1990. I like the chances of these guys getting around too. They don't even have to carry their bag!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM

I played a round of 9 last week where it was in the low 90s, and pretty humid. My biggest problem was keeping a grip on the shaft, because I was so sweaty. Even my glove was perspiring. Do these guys have several gloves for a round?