Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: How the hell do you deal with bad beats?

Nothing to do but keep playing. Being able to shrug them off comes primarily with time/age. Once you've been through the same bad beat literally a thousand times, it gets easier to take. Until you get there, though, just fight through it and trust that if you keep playing well, you WILL get there.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Remove the word "should" from your vocabulary and internal dialog.

There's no such thing in the Universe, there's only What Happens and The Underlying Cause.

Spend more effort trying to find the Underlying Cause, and less on feeling emotional about What Happens.

That's the goal. In the meantime, walk away until you've forgotten your anger.

And if you're going to kick the dog, be sure there's nothing hard behind it, because otherwise when it ducks out of the way you're going to also have to deal with the pain of a broken toe...just sayin'...

Regards

Gar
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Note. Scientific research has shown that catharsis (i.e. venting anger by punching, hitting, yelling, etc.) does not reduce anger or stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bu11sh!t?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By that i mean from Penn and Teller BS?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. incase anyone was really interesetd, citation below:

Bushman, B.J. (2002). Does venting anger feed or extinguish the flame? Catharsis, Rumination, Distraction, Anger, and Agressive Behavior. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 724-731.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm about to the point that I'm going to quit playing pstars since it is so ridiculous. I get tired of losing to jackass's who will call any raise with any ace or any two suit cards.

Maybe congress needs to hold committee hearings on the supposed randomness of online poker before passing any bills regarding online poker as a game of skill. Ban it all together. LOL
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm about to the point that I'm going to quit playing pstars since it is so ridiculous. I get tired of losing to jackass's who will call any raise with any ace or any two suit cards.

Maybe congress needs to hold committee hearings on the supposed randomness of online poker before passing any bills regarding online poker as a game of skill. Ban it all together. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the benefit that poker sites have by rigging their sites?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I’m sorry if I came across as negative. I was trying to be constructive and offer advice on how to avoid bad beats, not just learn to live with them.

What I’m trying to get out is that a run of bad beats can be easily caused by bad play by a good player, and I was trying to identify some of the common traits and bad habits that are easy to fall into fall into.

I really do think that while good players might have bad beats happen to them more often, they are also less likely to get busted out by bad beats than a bad player (or a good player playing badly) and hence find them easier to deal with.

Re-assuring people that good players get bad beats more often just discourages people from examining their play in depth and trying to see if there are any underlying causes apart from just mean old varience.

I think it is important to look at your game as a whole, not just the hands you get busted on.

On a general note accusing anyone who might disagree with you of not playing for long enough to understand and using terms like “coming out of the hedges” to describe what was meant as a sincere and constructive post is not likely to endear yourself to anybody. (Also, adding a smiley doesn’t make it ok to say rude stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Jammy, now it´s my turn to excuse me ... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]... I didn´t want to accuse you or write rude things. Maybe it is dedicated to my bad english if it came around this way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In german I maybe could have done better ... so please take it as well as a constructive post.

I had done a similar post some month ago in the BBV forum, stupid enough to hope that I would get some serious advice how to handle such a long-term-downswing (it was for more than three months that I busted consistently as a 70/80%-favourite!!). Unfortunately everybody just laughed on me and gave me the advice to read some books ... maybe it was because of this that I got hold of the wrong end of the stick when reading your post - so sorry for this, ok?

Tackleberry
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 AM

Absolutely no problem at all. I think we probably agree to be honest.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 AM

Inhale, exhale and repeat.

I walk away from the PC, mutter to myself for a minute or two and get back to work.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM

I generally use as many 4-letter words as I can, break my keyboard and proceed to swear off online poker forever.

I then register for the next $24+2 hourly tourney on FullTilt.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Eric Lynch talks about this at great lengths in his Cardplayer articles.page 112 latest issue with Freddy Deeb on the cover with all that cash.