Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]

That is my opinon anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is you can dish it out but you can't take it. You have a sense of humour so long as no one touches your sacred cows.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That is my opinon anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is you can dish it out but you can't take it. You have a sense of humour so long as no one touches your sacred cows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not realize that my scared cow was Christianity! My humor is intact and my helpful nature always upfront, though misunderstood by many. If you are intentially trying to get me angry that is not useful nor wise nor will it work.

However, I would like to see you and Phil do an Exodus harangue. That would very interesting.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I did not realize that my scared cow was Christianity!

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Voltaire!!

[ QUOTE ]

If you are intentially trying to get me angry that is not useful nor wise nor will it work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you trying to get me angry?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've made similar statements many times. I make the same statement to you. Go for it. I mean, if you're sincere in calling me insincere. Are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously given your tack you are completely confident that no one can convince you, to your satisfaction, that the Exodus Story is false. But it is also inconsistent within the confines of Christian faith for you to make such a statement, at least that is the way I see it. Perhaps this is just a ploy to get the message out to an audience of people of that has doubts about the historical accuracy of the bible.

But I consider the whole exercise fruitless. I would be very disappointed if you "converted" to the "other side". You should remain a Christain and try to practice the charity a bit better.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No! Voltaire!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Well, I like Voltaire but I do not consider him a scared cow. I like to think I have no scared cows, but I could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Were you trying to get me angry?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Just wanted some clarification. Now I need to go to bed and get some sleep.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But I am more interested what you would say

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I would be in trouble if you proved exodus is false. I'm not going to respond to and endless series of hypotheticals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be in trouble. You'd either find a way not to take it literally, or you would promote something else within the bible to being more important and cling to that.

You religion and beliefs are safe. There is nothing... And I mean nothing... That could ever prove to you Christianity is false and/or your God doesn't exist. You'll find out when you're dead. Unfortunately, there will be no way to say, "I told you so then".
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously given your tack you are completely confident that no one can convince you, to your satisfaction, that the Exodus Story is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not completely confident but I make the statement for several reasons. I genuinely want to pursue truth. I really want to know if anyone has anything significant against what I believe. I want others to know I have that attitude toward what I believe. I'm not kidding. I think what the Bible says is true and what God says is real. And if it isn't, I want to know it, contrary to popular belief, because I'm not following Christ because my mother told me to - I think I'm following Him because He's real, His Word is true, and His promises will be fulfilled.

I'm constantly accused of being a troll, of intellectual dishonesty, of irrationality, of dodging debate. But I constantly engage in debate, cite sources, admit errors or uncertainty, confess that I'm more of a sinner that most. So now I get accused of having no tack. Well, that one's new. Maybe I should realize I will never please everyone.

[ QUOTE ]

You should remain a Christain and try to practice the charity a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't argue with that. I have many faults. I can only say you shoulda seen me before I was a Christian.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You'd either find a way not to take it literally, or you would promote something else within the bible to being more important and cling to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Zeno, see what I mean?

QED
Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 AM

This is all getting silly. There is NOTHING about Chrisianity or the God of Abraham, that one could even remotely begin to take seriously if it weren't for the bible. This is true for every single person on earth, be it atheist or theist.

So what's the big deal about Exodus?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There is NOTHING about Chrisianity or the God of Abraham, that one could even remotely begin to take seriously if it weren't for the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. It's a long tradition in Christianity that God reveals Himself in two ways: His Word and His creation. There is much that can be learned about Him from genuine science and observation of nature. Romans even says that everyone knows Him through nature to such an extent that they are without excuse.

[ QUOTE ]

So what's the big deal about Exodus?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't just exodus. I just mentioned that in another thread by ZeeJustin where he asked what it would take to make me reject Christianity. I was just being specific. Substitute the Bible for exodus.