Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Silent Hill (trailer) best game-movie adaptation of all time?

Just kidding. This garbage was horrible. And Street Fighter, the Movie, the Game was even worse

Edit: Seriously, Mortal Kombat (original) is the best movie based on a video game ever. The actors looked like the characters they were supposed to. The story remained unchanged from the original game, and the acting and special effects were head and shoulders above any video game movie I've seen.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 AM

I believe this is similar to being the "world's tallest midget."
Old 04-24-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a horrible, dismal movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I've heard nothing but good things about it from a lot of people whose opinoins I respect (people whose movie tastes tend to traditionally match mine, that is) that Silent Hill was excellent. I'll be seeing it this week for sure. If you've been thinking about seeing it, I wouldn't let Tron's opinion above counter it.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Mortal Kombat was a good film...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Plus, when they played the opening music, it was great. Half the theater yelled "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!"

DN
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM

http://www.bluxed.com/news/MovieReview-Silent-Hill.html

I didn't see it yet but i don't think i plan on it.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linking to some random guy's blog that's aparently been up for less than sixty days doesn't tell anyone anything...

Well wait a second, it does. He's reviewed three movies in the few months that his blog has been up: the other two are Scary Movie 4 and Lucky Number S7even. He gave the latter four stars out of five. So yeah, we've lost any slight credibility that he might have had to begin with.

Leads me to wonder - are you just shilling your own blog but trying to act like you're not? nice...

So anyways back to Silent Hill - So far everyone either hates it or loves it.

Most of the mainstream critics hate it. yet its got a 75% user review at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7/10 at IMDB with pretty vocal opponents on both sides of the "its awesome" or "no it sucks" debates.

usually that's the criteria I look for in finding movies that I'm really going to enjoy - vociferous support on both sides usually means its a really good movie that a good portion of the general populous just doesn't get.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM

i may see this movie tonight, yay or nay? gf wants to see it, she loves scary movies. neither one of us played the game
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linking to some random guy's blog that's aparently been up for less than sixty days doesn't tell anyone anything...

Well wait a second, it does. He's reviewed three movies in the few months that his blog has been up: Scary Movie 4 and Lucky Number S7even. He gave the latter four stars out of five.

Leads me to wonder - are you just shilling your own blog? nice...

So anyways back to Silent Hill - So far everyone either hates it or loves it.

Most of the mainstream critics hate it. yet its got a 75% user review at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7/10 at IMDB with pretty vocal opponents on both sides of the "its awesome" or "no it sucks" debates.

usually that's the criteria I look for in finding movies that I'm really going to enjoy - vociferous support on both sides usually means its a really good movie that a good portion of the general populous just doesn't get.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reasoning only works when the critics like the movie. It's their job to "get" movies. They are paid to sit around all day and "get" movies. There is nothing to "get" about Silent Hill, at least not unless you are intimately familiar with the video game.

I am not. I've played a couple games of the series a few times and enjoyed them a lot, which is why I figured it would make for a really cool movie if they could capture the feel of the game on screen. They accomplished this in a few spots, but not often enough and not effectively enough to make up for the fact that not a single thing that happened in the entire movie made any sense whatsoever, the acting was mediocre at best, and the dialoge was truly horrible.

Who is going to see this movie on opening weekend? Fans of the original game. Who is going to "get" this movie? Fans of the orignal game. Who is going to be left to rate the movie on IMDB and RottenTomatoes? Fans of the original game. So if you are very, very intimately acquainted with the orignal Silent Hill video game, you will probably enjoy this movie. But if you're like me and had just a passing interest, and happen to think that movies should be able to stand on their own, you will probably think it's the worst movie you've seen in the last decade.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:13 PM

I think this is a pretty fair review
Old 04-24-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reasoning only works when the critics like the movie. It's their job to "get" movies. They are paid to sit around all day and "get" movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with this either. Usually a lot of the critics aren't any better at judging movies than the general moviegoing public, and in a lot of cases are significantly worse. most suffer from the common critics disease of narrowminded thinking - I'm supposed to like this movie because its artistic (even though its crap) or i'm not supposed to like this movie because of (whatever).

There are a handful of critics opinions who I respect. But I'd say close to 90% of the general critics aren't worth their weight in popcorn.

I don't disagree with the "early reviews biased by the fans" bit. Thats very much a possibility.

But I've got a close friend who is a horror movie fanatic, who absolutely loved it. She's never played SIlent Hill, but thought the movie was highly disturbing and very well done from a horror / scare perspective.

Like I said above, i haven't seen it yet, I can't defend it. I've never seen the game but I've seen the trailer and am anticipating seeing the movie this week based on the trailer and the opinion of people I respect. The fanatically passionately mixed reviews I'm seeing online also gives me high hopes, per my theory above.