Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Should I Join a Fraternity?

quick fraternity/softball story...

frat kid i knew back in college happened to be on a team that we were playing in softball in college town 2 weeks ago. dude was pretty cool 4 years ago, we drank a couple beers/smoked some joints/hollered at chicks, etc.

4th inning of the 2nd game, we won by 15+ the first game, and were up 10 in the 2nd game. he was running home, no play at the plate at all, and trucked our catcher.

the ball was in the outfield when this happened, and our catcher literally flew 3 feet backwards.

everybody got pissed, started calling ME out because 'my boy' (who i hadn't even thought about in 4 years) ran over our catcher.

'my boy' was playing shortstop in the field next inning...

i get on 1st, next batter grounds one to 2nd...

yeah..

tried to turn the double play, shortstop caught the throw and stood in the middle of 2nd base....WHAM.

i slid and kicked his knee so hard (legal, but definitely with a purpose) he rolled around on the ground for 5 minutes...

almost set off a brawl, until the umpire came out and basically declared me awesome, and 'my boy' deserving.

conversation 10 minutes after it happened went like this:

him: wtf? we used to be cool?

me: get off the bag next time

him: whatever, you just cost yourself a friend with that [censored] (HA!)

me: i haven't seen you in 4 years, and frankly, always thought you were an [censored] anyway...don't run over 150lb catchers, and your knee will keep all of it's joints connected...

little off topic, but something reminded me of it..
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 AM

i have no idea why i forgot to add this...

the reason i remembered all this is because we play that team again tomorrow...last i remember, he was calling all his frat boys telling them the next time they play us..

should be fun.

i'm gonna take a pitcher's head off tomorrow...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if I went to a school like LSU

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]
Meaning a super huge school.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quick fraternity/softball story...

frat kid i knew back in college happened to be on a team that we were playing in softball in college town 2 weeks ago. dude was pretty cool 4 years ago, we drank a couple beers/smoked some joints/hollered at chicks, etc.

4th inning of the 2nd game, we won by 15+ the first game, and were up 10 in the 2nd game. he was running home, no play at the plate at all, and trucked our catcher.

the ball was in the outfield when this happened, and our catcher literally flew 3 feet backwards.

everybody got pissed, started calling ME out because 'my boy' (who i hadn't even thought about in 4 years) ran over our catcher.

'my boy' was playing shortstop in the field next inning...

i get on 1st, next batter grounds one to 2nd...

yeah..

tried to turn the double play, shortstop caught the throw and stood in the middle of 2nd base....WHAM.

i slid and kicked his knee so hard (legal, but definitely with a purpose) he rolled around on the ground for 5 minutes...

almost set off a brawl, until the umpire came out and basically declared me awesome, and 'my boy' deserving.

conversation 10 minutes after it happened went like this:

him: wtf? we used to be cool?

me: get off the bag next time

him: whatever, you just cost yourself a friend with that [censored] (HA!)

me: i haven't seen you in 4 years, and frankly, always thought you were an [censored] anyway...don't run over 150lb catchers, and your knee will keep all of it's joints connected...

little off topic, but something reminded me of it..

[/ QUOTE ]proof that there still are douches who aren't in frats
Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM

that story was enlightening, thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Don't end up in a situation where you are justifying your decision to join a fraternity to yourself and your friends who were with you before the fraternity. I've seen too many people stick it out when they really didn't want to just because of the time and effort they had put in to the whole rush process; they felt they had to justify to themselves and others that joining was the right thing just because of the stuff they went through to get there.

Don't end up being this person.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 AM

meh, i liked the story.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Definitely worth checking out. My advice is just to do it for the right reasons and not take it too seriously. And don't feel like you have to accept the first bid tossed your way; much better to not join at all than regret your decision down the road. Oh, and if you join, you can't take the insecure d-bags seriously- every house has them, and you'll know them when you see them.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

One thing that I want to throw out there: if you decide halfway through the recruiting period that you don't want to join one, just keep going to the parties/car smashes/p***r games anyway. There's no reason not to and you will be able to meet a good number of guys that you wouldn't otherwise.