Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: River...

Spelling it out for the check-callers:

Bet the river and fold to a raise.

He's calling along. What does he have? Who knows. Could easily be a crappy ten, but it could just as well be some ace high rubbish, or a smaller pocket pair, or A4, A3. There were no legitimate draws on the flop but he called anyway. I think we're ahead a decent amount of the time on this river, though.

If you check, he most likely bets if he has a K, and perhaps also a T, but almost surely none of the made hands that you beat. If he has ace high he will also most likely check behind, hoping to be best rather than making a thin value bet/turning his ace into a bluff. So check-call loses a bet when you're behind and never gains a bet.

If you bet he calls with most of the made hands that have been calling along so far and occasionally with ace high too because people are like that. He also calls with the hands that beat you of course, and probably raises if he has a biggie, which he most likely does not because what on earth could it be? So you get a bet when ahead, lose one when behind. Better than the above.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: River...

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Albeit small sample there is plenty of worse hands that will call. 4x, 3x, 55--88 and possibly A high as well.

Standard value bet IMO.

I personaly would need to have more evidence that he will call with these hands before i value bet him here, i just feel like the fact that he 'seems to be passive' after 85 hands isnt enough for me. So unless ive seen him make this kind of call im checking, maybe its a hole in my game but i dont like to make such bets out of position with no reads.

Good posts though and i value your opinions, we'd never learn anything if we just agreed all the time

Hehe yeah!

BTW I dont really need a "passive read" to value bet. I would value bet this one against most villains. I think you underestimate how much you will get looked up here. Do you have a background in full ring or No limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOl yeah you got me there, i started off playing full ring and have only recently started playing 6max. My game is otherwise pretty solid and im doing ok but i think im making way too many mistakes on the river esp. HU so its definatley an area i need to work on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]