Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Need Some Actual Advice Here

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, don't get defensive.

You already admitted to yourself that you have a problem, and you are looking at some way of fixing it. This is good.

If you realize that you have an addictive personality (I do to), then you can control it.

There is a fine line between passion and addiction (addicts lose).

Take a breather for a week or two, reread up on the fundamentals, and then take another week break.

It sounds like you want to make it big quit (building a bankroll to $700 from $10 in a few months). You'll go busto every time if you try to do that (98% of the time).

Poker is a HARD game. And I'm not talking about strategy and skill. The hardest part of poker is patience, and bankroll management in order to grind it out to the higher levels while keeping yourself from moving up in order for your bankroll to absorb variance.

play the lowest limits you can. get confident at it. Only move up once you have 20 buy-ins for NL or 300X the BB for limit. Don't be afraid to move back down if you hit some bad cards and you lose a bit of your bankroll. It does not make you a failure.

But most importantly. Poker will not be able to support you or your family in the short run. Finish school. Go to college if you can. Get an education and a full-time job. Only take shots at poker with money that you can afford to lose. If you wouldn't walk into the ghetto or bar parking lot holding it in your hand, don't play with it.

[/ QUOTE ] By far this is the best forum to post your feelings and get good advice despite the fact that I shouldn't be here right now b/c I should be on a mini vacation from poker. That didn't last to long. Is it possible to grind up money from $20 bucks? Yes. Have I done it? Yes. However, its not mean't for everybody to do? No. I also tried it like yourself with SNGs and I did it. However, I BOMBED a bankroll and I was pissed. Blamed it on the site I play at. I took a break as I usually do and did some type of exercising and I picked up CASH GAME play instead of SNG. Start at a comfortable level. And Im not talking about starting at a high level to make a lot of cash and be underrolled for the players that can see you buying in for minimum all the time. You'll just bust out again. Start at something comfortable where you can practice new techniques and apply book concepts. You than move up slowly. If you are playing NL and like that make sure you are rolled for 1,000-2,000 times the BB. Can you take shots at bigger limits, yes, but watch what you do. To be honest Im rolled for 1/2NL and 2/4 limit and I have played up to 5/10 Limit, but since I've taken such a long break from poker before grinding up a bankroll for 2/4 limit again I'm starting at very low levels so I can get back into the swing of things. Pick up some psychological books, "Inside the mind of poker" and try to get that new SNG book by 2 + 2 if you haven't gotten it yet. Can never read to many books and after a while getting sucked out you won't care b/c you are rolled properly and on top of that your thinking at a greater level.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do I quit forever because I can not handle it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Emotions and the brain is a crazy thing...

The smartest, most intuitive people often become no better than an ape because of this...

Whats interesting is how little (or not at all) kids are taught the significane of how you think, what you think, and how MOST thoughts are just illusions based on fear, greed etc.

Anyways, I was in a similar predicament to you (i guess) and endulged myself into psychology,money,and life books....They truely did change my life and every day look back on the irony of how different my life wouldve been if I was taught the lessons from those books rather than being brainwashed by parents, teachers etc.

Anyways, I hope you succeed in your poker endeavors and I think with the proper mindset on how your mindset should be to suceed, you will succeed and I wish you great luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Playing well is only half the game and I doubt you are doing that if you cant beat 1 dollar games. If you can't handle the swings you will never make it. Just give up on this pipe dream and do something that makes you happy. You should not start crying over losing 20 bucks. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing well is only half the game and I doubt you are doing that if you cant beat 1 dollar games. If you can't handle the swings you will never make it. Just give up on this pipe dream and do something that makes you happy. You should not start crying over losing 20 bucks. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you didn't read. Losing $1 games and crying was months ago. I'm past that. I just play 25NL, $5-$20 SnGs, and MTTs.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do I quit forever because I can not handle it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will preface this by saying that I am not a minor, but can't buy lottery tickets (get it?.)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. First. Yes, you are a minor. You need to look that up. Second, there's nothing wrong with you. Or at least nothing that a few years won't cure.

I'm going to tell you something that will sound counterintuitive, but is true: no one who wants to win money can be a successful poker player. See, money is not the goal, it's just a by-product of making good choices.

Life is just a series of choices. A kind of binary system.

Hey, you ever read Howard Lederer's story about hanging around a NYC poker room as a older teen-ager - he'd do odd jobs, run to the deli, clean up, get enough to sit in a game, go broke, do it again. Over and over.

Leave the money alone, I advise. Go to the library for the books. Learn your craft a little. Stop trying to win. Give yourself a break. You picked up the weight of the world and all you were supposed to carry was yourself.

You'll be ok.

-prax- "Patience is genius."
Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you didn't read. Losing $1 games and crying was months ago. I'm past that. I just play 25NL, $5-$20 SnGs, and MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you are in denial, and I promise you will be back to your own habits if you keep this up

The only thing that will work is having someone accountable to hold you to ONLY playing x game until you have y bankroll

Play only $5 SNGs up to $250, then mix in some $10's... et cetera

You already have shown that you tilt and cannot handle losing, and everyone who's mentioned it you get defensive with

I quit poker because of this after playing for 3 years and never ever being able to play within my roll because I wanted it to be a good side income so badly... then I'd lose playing in a $215 with my $1000 roll and get really emotional about it

LDO

I made like $10 bucks in freerolls this past week and was didicated to turning it into a roll... so I lost 4 consecutive $1 SNGs, and then put the rest on one blackjack hand because I'm impatien

Poker just IS NOT RIGHT for some people and you are making excuses for yourself

So stop playing ar start getting serious bankroll management help from someone that can kick your ass if you aren't keeping to it

If you are palying poker for the goal of only making money you will fail

That's it
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM

I just tried PMing him with advice and he said that he lost most of his roll but obviously has rakeback if he loses the rest of his roll again

It's not worth it man, I feel sorry for you, but you are going to have problems with this game
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just tried PMing him with advice and he said that he lost most of his roll but obviously has rakeback if he loses the rest of his roll again

It's not worth it man, I feel sorry for you, but you are going to have problems with this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Many poker pros were told the same thing.