Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: WSOP 2K Event

I think your play and reasoning on the turn were perfect. If CO has you beat, he absolutely must bet the turn. You called behind him on the flop on a draw heavy board and didn't get there on the turn unless you have 74. He can't possibly take the big chance of giving you, and EP, a free card if he has a made hand. For those who would fold here, can you provide a range for CO that has Hero beat that makes any sense?

I probably raise on the flop, but calling with position is fine because it exercises pot control and prevents a big draw from coming over the top. Folding on the flop with top pair, effectively 3rd best kicker (no way does anyone have AK here) would never even enter my mind, I'd be deciding between call and raise.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

"I'd like to know what you guys at the forum think about this"

---------->

"We think you should check the turn."

---------->

"HA! I actually never cared what you guys we're going to say cause i know i was right this time! You lose this time, 2+2"

Just messing with you man, but seriously it takes a pretty damn specific read to have betting>checking this turn.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In fact, does anyone else just fold the flop ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

This crossed my mind as I read the description of players and subsequent action. What are we hoping for on the turn that will make us feel like we have the best hand? Do we really think hero is good here?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Oh yeah, and insta fold the shove. Is there anything he can have that we beat? (occasionally I see tight, bad players slow play big pairs like queens here like this and then play them fast after the flop, almost trying to make up for lost ground from before the flop - but I wouldn't count on your opponent having queens or jacks here).
Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out loud I meantioned that I didn't think he would have let that turn go without leading with a made hand so I thought he had to have a monster draw and finally called.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems very insightful although I'm not sure it was wise to educate the guy. Is the idea that if your read is bad and you lose a lot of chips, at least everyone knows you had a good reason? Shrug.

When someone goes for the check-raise even though they had absolutely no reason to expect a bet from you, you have to consider possibilities like this. So good job on the read.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Im pretty sure you just got lucky to hit the bottom of his range that insta checkshoves the turn. As played I probably would have folded the flop, but since i called I would check the turn and call most rivers.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This seems very insightful although I'm not sure it was wise to educate the guy. Is the idea that if your read is bad and you lose a lot of chips, at least everyone knows you had a good reason? Shrug.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, when people think you are making bad plays and getting lucky, they tend to get involved in more pots with you. If they think you are making good plays, they tend to avoid you. I knew from the position in the room that it would be some time before they would break our table so image building was still important.

We were close to where I begin to shift gears with the antes kicking in in a couple levels. The starting stack was only $4,000 so many stacks were beginning to get a little short and implied odds were diminishing. I wanted players to avoid me.

Of course it's always nice to get a little boost for the ego as well.