Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: A high call downs vs unknowns.

Both hands are pretty standard. I would need a read to get me to fold.

RE inducing bluffs:

I've gone back and forth about this, and the conclusion I've come to is it depends on the limits you're playing and the specific game dynamics (i.e. 3/6 on one site may play like 10/20 on another). The more passive the game, the more inclined to value bet you should be; I think you just miss too much value in trying to induce a bluff that isn't likely to come. The bigger the game, and/or the more aggressive the game, I think inducing bluffs becomes more viable. But, I still tend to prefer value betting because it can dissuade players from peeling the turn too lightly with marginal UI hands that have some showdown value when the river is checked through if they know they're going to be value bet to death. Like anything else in poker, knowing when to employ each strategy is the key (and something I'm still trying to work on).
Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 AM

First one I'm usually betting the turn and calling down if raised. Second one is perfect for a 2/4 game (unless they've changed a lot in the last 2 years).

Sethypooh's wtsd is kinda nitty for 10/20+ and he clearly runs obnoxiously good.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Bump:
interested more in this thread if anyone has more examples to post...maybe from someone who runs 35-40 WTSD?Examples of why your calling down on certain boards vs certain players. I am also in the 33% range and feel I could use some help in this area. I play ABS 2/4-5/10 if that helps or gives you a better idea of game dynamics. Maybe I'm not firing enough on the turn HU and checking behind on the river? Maybe I tend to check the turn too much in position and then fold to too many scare cards on the river when villan leads? just some thoughts on why mine might be low.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I tend to check the turn too much in position and then fold to too many scare cards on the river when villan leads?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be it - HU on many non drawy boards against many aggro type villains, I tend to check behind the turn with A hi/ underpair type hands with the intention of calling most rivers - if I have a less SD worthy hand, there's more reason to bet the turn hoping to take it down there.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 AM

Beastmaster,
what is the average pot size for your database (under summary tab). In mine it is:

15/30: 6.3 BB
10/20: 6.1 BB
5/10: 5.9 BB

This is probably a really stupid way to illustrate my point, but I'm just curious. The point I am trying to make is that in aggressive games when you build up a big pot it becomes correct to show down more. If you play a very aggressive style pushing small edges it will be correct to showdown a lot more. If you don't run at friggin 50+ w$sd like sethypooh, this style will also give you lots of headaches [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]