Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: current American politicians that you respect

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What bill are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

McCain-Feingold. Yet another in a long line of Incumbent Protection Acts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It explicitly outlaws certain kinds of political speech. Outlawing something is pretty clearly "infringing" upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree fully. Outlawing soft money ads cuts out the party machines that are so wonderful at bringing out ridiculous attack ads that are so pervasive. Of course, when the bill finally was voted on it was a shell of itself. The bill in it's original form was a brilliant piece of legislation that was aimed at ending some of the silliness that american politics is so well known for
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate to break some unfortunate news, but Ralph Nader is not a libertarian's friend. Maybe you are saying you respect his character, but the main wants to maim and rape the free market. Screw him.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can also thank him every time you get into an accident because he fully advocated that the auto industry actually help keep people alive rather then just cut as many corners to keep costs down by not providing seatbelts and crumple zones in cars that saves lives on a daily basis
Old 07-29-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RON PAUL,

because he actually acts on his beliefs, rather than being a giant douchebag and voting in pork.

I would honestly forgive just about any politician for anything ever if they swore off ever voting for pork spending bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul is many things, but he is hardly kosher when it comes to pork.

One of many Paul pork articles
Old 07-29-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What bill are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

McCain-Feingold. Yet another in a long line of Incumbent Protection Acts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It explicitly outlaws certain kinds of political speech. Outlawing something is pretty clearly "infringing" upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree fully. Outlawing soft money ads cuts out the party machines that are so wonderful at bringing out ridiculous attack ads that are so pervasive. Of course, when the bill finally was voted on it was a shell of itself. The bill in it's original form was a brilliant piece of legislation that was aimed at ending some of the silliness that american politics is so well known for

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that these reform bills always end up helping incumbents get reelected and have reduced competitiveness in elections. It is a bad thing to make it harder to challenge incumbents who might not be doing a good job, and that has been the end result of the reforms since 1974. Since then, senators and congressmen have had significantly higher rates of reelection, higher margins of victory, and there has been a decrease in the number of challengers. And we are not even talking about how these are unconstitutional violations of free speech, but who is counting, they make people feel good and are fashionable.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Barney Frank, because of his disinterested support of legalizing internet gambling. It's extremely rare for a politician to stick his neck out on an issue when he will receive no real net personal or political benefit from doing so.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 AM

Former medical doctor turned Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn. Partly because of these kind of tidbits:

"WASHINGTON (AP) - US Senator Tom Coburn suggested today that Border Patrol agents should be allowed to shoot at fleeing drug traffickers."

Although he had a 100 per cent approval rate from the American Conservative Union, he has co-sponsored bills with Senator Obama. In addition he has openly criticized fellow Republicans when he thinks they are wasting tax payer money.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:20 AM

coors,

I don't understand, why is it so awesome to kill untried drug traffickers? Because they are Mexican?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM

Ron Paul - he sticks to what he says, is consistant, and has a lot of interesting ideas that need to be put out there

Al Gore - I respect him a lot, and would respect him even more if he were to run. I think he is the only democrat I could ever cast a vote for. And by ever, I mean in this election. He came out against the war before any public official, and I respect that as well.

john Edwards - for manning up to making a mistake in voting for Iraq, unlike Hillary who blames Bush. Obviously he did it for political reasons, but at least he did it.

Kucinich - again, for being consistant and not basing his decisions on what he thinks will be the popular vote.

Gore/Obama 2008! or Ron Paul/whoever 2008 ! I know, it seems my views are extremly messed up... I want consistancy mainly, don't think Paul has a chance, and even though I want a conservative, I don't think any other republican is worth voting for. Gore is the only one left.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Former medical doctor turned Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn. Partly because of these kind of tidbits:

"WASHINGTON (AP) - US Senator Tom Coburn suggested today that Border Patrol agents should be allowed to shoot at fleeing drug traffickers."

[/ QUOTE ]

the govt already made marijuana illegal to try and arrest/deport the mexicans, but the damned immigrants just keep getting in.
shooting them, in place of due process, seems like the only real way to handle this situation.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect John McCain because he is a badass who survived tougher conditions than I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]