Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 109 20k guaranteed, what to do on turn?

I'm checking because I think villain's bluffing frequency is typically going to be really low here, and when he does bet, his bet sizing will often make it easy to play perfectly.

In other words, I think I can save money in the long run against his better hands by checking, and I don't think I lose much against his weaker hands because he often folds them to a bet, and he often does retarded [censored] like bet really small with them.

Of course, we lose money to flush draws, since they like always call a bet, so it's def not a clear check or anything.

The fact that sometimes FDs shove (not nearly as often as shaun seems to be implying) is another point in favor of checking.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He lrr'ed AA from utg, that tells us he's not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa limp reraising AA UTG is AWESOME
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
chk

[/ QUOTE ]

There he goes again w/ the one word answer. Like "guys I said check, so obviously that's right. Because I said so. I'm Ansky LDO."

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you read his long rant, but the gist of it was.
1. I'm busy when I post sometimes.
2. I don't need to give in depth responses.
3. I have contributed a ton to this forum so you shouldn't criticize me when you don't contribute anything.

I would check this flop sometimes. As played I think I c/c turn c/f river (obviously dependent on river card)
Old 07-27-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He lrr'ed AA from utg, that tells us he's not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa limp reraising AA UTG is AWESOME

[/ QUOTE ]

As an aside, Gobbo could you explain more to us non-MTT gods? Lately I see quite a few (not necessarily good)players lrr utg with a wide range, AK and 99+, so has llr'ing AA maybe come full circle back to not being a bad idea again? Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Anything that you do that will let a good player drastically reduce your range is bad. Most people in tournaments do not do peculiar things without a ridiculously strong hand. In cash games it's usually either a really strong hand or really weak hand, but in tournaments it's usually just strength because people are so terrified of losing big pots.

So when he LRRs with the nuts preflop, you should be mucking almost everything. If he does it with ONLY AA then it's a terrible terrible play because he's turning his hand faceup. You should only do this if your range is super wide for doing so, and it shouldn't because it barely ever works and puts you in some terrible situations after the flop when it just gets people limping, which is what happens when you play low stakes and live tournaments.

If you make it so that there are only a few ways you'll play pretty much any hand, you make yourself basically unreadable. Most of the play I do is very boring, because I'll take 3-4 lines with basically any hand and it makes playing against me high variance and in a lot of spots, -EV.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Bet/fold....

bet/call , check/shove = lol with given history in said tourney

i like gobbos and sirios reasononings.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Guys, I'm sorry if I didn't clarify this, but he did not limp re-raise. I opened UTG+1 for 150, he made it 400 next to act.

Anyways, I bet 450 and folded to a push because I don't think this guy every pushes with a hand that I don't beat. Which is why I thought check call might have been better.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM

you think he just calls with some club hands that just turned a str draw or ones that turned a pair. We have 40% of our stack in there on the turn you don't think we have 33% equity vs his shoving range. I personally think we have more then that so call please.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that you do that will let a good player drastically reduce your range is bad. Most people in tournaments do not do peculiar things without a ridiculously strong hand. In cash games it's usually either a really strong hand or really weak hand, but in tournaments it's usually just strength because people are so terrified of losing big pots.

So when he LRRs with the nuts preflop, you should be mucking almost everything. If he does it with ONLY AA then it's a terrible terrible play because he's turning his hand faceup. You should only do this if your range is super wide for doing so, and it shouldn't because it barely ever works and puts you in some terrible situations after the flop when it just gets people limping, which is what happens when you play low stakes and live tournaments.

If you make it so that there are only a few ways you'll play pretty much any hand, you make yourself basically unreadable. Most of the play I do is very boring, because I'll take 3-4 lines with basically any hand and it makes playing against me high variance and in a lot of spots, -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh okay agreed - I like my limp-reraise range to be TT+, AKo, AQs+, KJs+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, dependent on player.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm checking because I think villain's bluffing frequency is typically going to be really low here, and when he does bet, his bet sizing will often make it easy to play perfectly.

In other words, I think I can save money in the long run against his better hands by checking, and I don't think I lose much against his weaker hands because he often folds them to a bet, and he often does retarded [censored] like bet really small with them.

Of course, we lose money to flush draws, since they like always call a bet, so it's def not a clear check or anything.

The fact that sometimes FDs shove (not nearly as often as shaun seems to be implying) is another point in favor of checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I understand what Gobbo et al are getting at. The above makes the most sense to me.