Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: WPT World Poker Challenge thread

[ QUOTE ]
Alvarado and Wong are both good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Wong wasn't in very long. I don't know exactly how someone would think AQo was any good facing a 4-bet all-in from JC Tran when his opening raise came over two big stacks, but it's hard to stay neutral when we see the cards before the action.

Alvarado overbetting draw-free flops against good players with middle pair no kicker doesn't strike me as very enlightened. The hand has some showdown value and doesn't really benefit from any folding equity if JC is calling him with TPnK. I liked his play with the 45 though.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play a very aggressive style of poker and you're playing 6 handed you're going to have to call 4 bets with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact that's really the only reason you 3bet, because otherwise 3betting AQ is bad. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And T5 v 97 was sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

players that can fire the third barrel for all their chips w/ 10 high are a rare breed...well done JC
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This self-proclaimed "best player from Mexico" is terrible, he doesn't win this does he?

[/ QUOTE ]
Christ, give the kid a break. He was making a joke. He said he has only met two other Mexican poker players and they were not any good, thus he's the best of the three. While not funny, that does't seem like enough to start chopping him up
Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM

I have a question: Was Pham's turn call (on JC's T5 bluff) horrible or very good? I mean, with a raise from JC PF, sure it coulda just been a steal, but he very easily coulda had any Ace as well. So maybe the flop call was ok (maybe a raise woulda been better?), but did Pham really think he was ahead on the turn or was he just trying to spike trips or two pair on the river?

Well, either way, it was a fun hand to watch.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question: Was Pham's turn call (on JC's T5 bluff) horrible or very good? I mean, with a raise from JC PF, sure it coulda just been a steal, but he very easily coulda had any Ace as well. So maybe the flop call was ok (maybe a raise woulda been better?), but did Pham really think he was ahead on the turn or was he just trying to spike trips or two pair on the river?

Well, either way, it was a fun hand to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]
The A is such a perfect card for JC to fire at, and he knows that he knows. So JC would bet here if he had it, but he'd also bet almost anything else he got to this point with, at least some of the time, whereas he'd usually give up if the turn was a 3 or whatev. Of course, David was assuming JC would give up on the river if he was bluffing.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM

I suspect that a lot of people who say that "Juan Carlos" sucks are talking about two hands: one was when he made the wheel straight and the other is when he overbet with 76o on a 8 7 2 board. In the first example, given Pham's range, I think checking back on the turn is entirely appropriate. In the second, I'm not at all in love with his play here, but given JC's range (wasn't this a limped pot) + the FE he has (not unreasonable to think JC folds an 8 and some 7s here) + that JC MAY call with a limped 66 (not likely), I think this is an OK play.

I wouldn't want to [censored] with Juan Carlos. He seems to have a few gears and is becoming adept at using all of them.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Besdies, it's so much more entertaining to make fun of Mark Seif.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besdies, it's so much more entertaining to make fun of Mark Seif.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. I liked how he was able to stare into JC Tran's soul and see that his A6o was good. Forget obvious betting patterns. It's all about the stone-cold reads, baby.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM

I missed the end, who did win?