Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Bellagio/Wynn only reliable 4/8 games in vegas?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there such a thing as a tough 4/8 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Show up at Wynn, Venetian, et al midweek at 10 a.m. You'll find cranky housewives grinding out the mortgage payment.

[ QUOTE ]
I know some may not be optimal, but they should all be weak and beatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those games are softer than a babies bottom for anyone who plays a solid SSHE style. I long for the days when I could play games that soft all the time, if the Vegas mid-limit games were that soft I'd be wealthy.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Show up at Wynn, Venetian, et al midweek at 10 a.m. You'll find cranky housewives grinding out the mortgage payment.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those games are softer than a babies bottom for anyone who plays a solid SSHE style. I long for the days when I could play games that soft all the time, if the Vegas mid-limit games were that soft I'd be wealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a special copy of that book, because mine doesn't have a chapter called "Rock Gardens". If they see the flop, they got something. If three of them see the flop, you're beat unless you got the nuts. If nobody has anything, you get the blinds. Six bucks, yippee.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have a special copy of that book, because mine doesn't have a chapter called "Rock Gardens". If they see the flop, they got something. If three of them see the flop, you're beat unless you got the nuts. If nobody has anything, you get the blinds. Six bucks, yippee.

[/ QUOTE ]

That book was written with the Mirage 3/6 and Bellagio 4/8 games in mind, thats where Ed Miller cut his teeth. Remember bluff equity decreases while the value of betting and raising with premium holdings increases. The only people I have spoken to who have a tough time with these games are usually misapplying the concepts, which is unfortunately the vast majority of players. Spend a little time in the small stakes forums here and you will meet lots of players who are beating these games with little effort, there usually aren't many tough decisions to be made during the hands in Vegas 4/8 games - including the Wynn and Bellagio.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anybody know the answer to this? I haven't been to MGM since I moved up to 8/16, but I do like to to play there when I am drinking and wondering if they do 4/8 or 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

MGM runs both 3/6 and 4/8 every day. Now that it's slow, one or the other might not get going until the afternoon/evening.

And, no, I have no idea why they spread 2/4, 3/6, and 4/8.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am waiting at the Bell or Wynn for the 15 or 30 game I will generally sit in a smaller game to kill time. I have never, ever, seen a 4/8 game that I would describe as "tough" at either of these places.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 AM

It's not a real problem to find a 4/8 game in Vegas.
The problem is finding a full LHE game between 4/8 and 15/30 as these games are very hard to find right now.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a real problem to find a 4/8 game in Vegas.
The problem is finding a full LHE game between 4/8 and 15/30 as these games are very hard to find right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

a dream come true: playing limit hold'em shorthanded in Vegas in a game that wont break. Commonly the dealers are equally to blame as the players are because they tend to stop dealing once it's short because they automatically assume the table will break - this is probably my biggest pet peeve.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mandalay Bay had a 4/8 limit game with $1/$2 blinds a few years ago. I am not sure if they still have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They spread almost nothing other than 4/8 limit and 1/2 or 2/5 NL. There will be a 4/8 going at Mandalay 24/7.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 PM

FWIW, Golden Nugget and Binions downtown often/usually have $4-8 games running. I think Orleans and Gold Coast also.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, Golden Nugget and Binions downtown often/usually have $4-8 games running. I think Orleans and Gold Coast also.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that Binions gets the 4/8 running at busy times only. I spent a lot of time at Binions recently during their recent series, I haven't spent much time there during non-busy ties so i could be wrong.