Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

Thanks, that helps. I guess I am overreacting... these are after all domesticated animals. They are just reacting to a stranger in their territory, not necessarily going to rip your face off.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 AM

Just a question :

Why do backpackers spend so much time in cybercafes? like a few hours a day i suspect and usually with their huge ass backpack next to them.

Second question why do most backpackers have that awful holier than you "I've been to everywhere and I sleep in the jungle so don't even talk with me" attitude? Is it a problem being a normal tourist that like nice hotels and hot showers?

Third one : Most backpackers i've meet in Thailand hate to see farang guys with hot thai bargirls, but why you can find so many of them crying in KSR hotels lobby because their passport and money has been stolen by a ladyboy?

thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question :

Why do backpackers spend so much time in cybercafes? like a few hours a day i suspect and usually with their huge ass backpack next to them.

Second question why do most backpackers have that awful holier than you "I've been to everywhere and I sleep in the jungle so don't even talk with me" attitude? Is it a problem being a normal tourist that like nice hotels and hot showers?

Third one : Most backpackers i've meet in Thailand hate to see farang guys with hot thai bargirls, but why you can find so many of them crying in KSR hotels lobby because their passport and money has been stolen by a ladyboy?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

1: I would guess that usually their leaving on a bus at somepoint soon and need to kill some time.

2: Yes, they suck. I found a lot of them in Thailand as well. I think this might be because this is lots of their first jaunt into the "3rd world" (if you can call having a 7/11 on every corner the 3rd world) and they want to think their cool. Their not. We're not all like that.

3. No answer.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

How much total money have you spent backpacking in what total amount of time?

What place would you visit if you had to pick the spot where "affordable" and "beautiful scenery" and "hot women" all met on a graph
Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we spent most of our time in the Bay Islands (Roatan mostly). Unblieavably beautiful... best snorkling i've ever experianced (I have terrible ears = can't dive).... also the cheapest place in the world to eat lobster (supposedly). Delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. One further question on the Bays, can you snorkel off the beach, or do you need to jump on a boat to get to the beauty?

If you ever get to Western Australia I recommend ningaloo reef, you can basically swim 5-10 meters off the beach at Coral Bay and you're amongst the most amazing diversity of sea life. (Turtles included), the coral isn't colourful though. The snorkel hire was the best $2 I ever spent.

And where are you planning on heading next?!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we spent most of our time in the Bay Islands (Roatan mostly). Unblieavably beautiful... best snorkling i've ever experianced (I have terrible ears = can't dive).... also the cheapest place in the world to eat lobster (supposedly). Delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. One further question on the Bays, can you snorkel off the beach, or do you need to jump on a boat to get to the beauty?

If you ever get to Western Australia I recommend ningaloo reef, you can basically swim 5-10 meters off the beach at Coral Bay and you're amongst the most amazing diversity of sea life. (Turtles included), the coral isn't colourful though. The snorkel hire was the best $2 I ever spent.

And where are you planning on heading next?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the beach in Roatan. Maybe 10 meters out the reef starts. So beautiful.

Next trip: Capetown - Istanbul over land (or opposite) and/or Istanbul - Bombay overland.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much total money have you spent backpacking in what total amount of time?

What place would you visit if you had to pick the spot where "affordable" and "beautiful scenery" and "hot women" all met on a graph

[/ QUOTE ]

1: Not sure... my first trip through South and Central with my mom I have no idea... subsequent trip all together: 24ish months, 20,000 CND or so. Maybe a little more. Europe wasn't that expensive because I have lots of family there and didn't have to pay for a lot of things.

2: If they were all to meet together, it would probably be either Argentina or Turkey.... I liked Turkey better between the two of them... but it's a litlte more expensive. Women are close to equal, especially in the more liberal western Turkey. Eastern Turkey is a whole different world. Both countries are visually stunning (except for in the beach category: turkey win's by a landslide). Both cusine's (which is always a big factor for me; i'm a huge foodie) are awesome... some of, if not the, best steaks i've ever had in my life have been in Argentina... while if you don't like charcole grilled chicken kebab's wrapped in freshly made flat bread and stuffed with grilled eggplant, feta cheese and rice in the middle of a bazaar there's something wrong with you... Argentina get's the nod on beverages because of their great wine's (but I like Turkey's beer better (Efes)).
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM

is there anywhere ican go with almost no money where people go to work and experience a new country.?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there anywhere ican go with almost no money where people go to work and experience a new country.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isreal working on a Kabutz. if you have your PADI it's pretty easy to get work anywhere where diving is available.

Teaching English in China is super easy, as you don't even need a degree or ESL training and they pay you really well (20/hr + in Beijing. More for private tutoring and if you have a certificate: more) especially if oyu have a North American accent. IF you want to teach English in Korea or Japan, you'll need a certificate and the cost of living is more (but, from what I understand, they pay you more as well).
It's super easy to get work in any tourist destination along the Medi. (atleast it was in Greece and Turkey) if you show up in April or May and say you'll work till the end of August. Usually bar work, but really good fun.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM

Yeah, Im seriously considering working in a kibbtutz. Have you stayed at one before? I started a thread about them a minute ago because Im unsure if they are any good anymore.

Dont think i'd be too suited to teaching (im 18) but I will look into work in Greece or Turkey.

Thanks