Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Worried about coworker - advice needed

I am worried about a guy I work with, he has recently gotten separated from his wife and seems very depressed. I know its normal to be upset over this, but I think he is developing a fairly serious drinking problem. Since his break up, he has missed quite a bit of work, calling in sick. On a few occasions he has come in looking pretty hungover, and I have smelled that leftover from the night before alcohol smell. I have also smelled it on him when he comes back from lunch. I know this isn't conclusive proof he has a problem, but he has never had this before. His break up was almost a month ago, and he has lost considerable weight also.

We work in a fairly small place, he is in the warehouse, I am in credit/billing. Some of the office staff has started talking about him, and our President of the company is away right now. I am concerned it will get back to him, he is not a warm or understanding guy and I am pretty sure this coworker would lose his job. We don't have any disability pay either fyi. The company is so small that there are only 8 office people and 14 warehouse guys, two of the office people would love to be the company hero and report it. Its really a matter of who will beat who to "tell".

I am not really "close" to this guy, we are both fairly reserved and keep to ourselves, but we do have a working relationship. In the past month he has turned in paperwork to me to for items to be credited, and has made a lot of mistakes, which I have pretty much just checked myself and fixed. His work is def being affected though. He and I have lunch together when we break at the same time, will pick up coffee/etc. for each other, but aren't friends outside of work.

Do I talk to this guy? I am genuinely worried about him, his job and his health. I am concerned he will become angry and it will be awkward, of course. I think one of two things could happen, he could become angry and feel I invaded his privacy (most likely) or he could realize that if his coworkers notice that he might have a real problem and get some help.

What to do here? This is a geniunely good guy, when my car broke down he fixed it for me and only charged for the part. He also does little nice things like clean the snow off my car in the winter, etc. Advice, please.