Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: One player threatens another with violence

Well even if he meant "guys like you" as in any young black man, I don't think thats racist. Pointing out a statistic that a disproportionate amount of young black men are incarcerated compared to other demographics is not racist. Its true, isn't it?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Can't say I sympathize with the trash-talking punk. I certainly don't advocate violence, but if you keep pushing the line like he apparently does, he doesn't get a pass from me. He deserves a KITN.

And I don't think you can automatically assume that there was anything racial behind it. From the story posted, I can imagine that Da Judge could just as easily have lost it with a white-dude punk. I have to assume the operative quality here is punk, not black.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM

How is the guy a racist?

He said something like "I put people LIKE YOU in jail all the time."

What do you think that meant? He puts mouthy poker players in jail all the time?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM

Was he nappy headed?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He claims to be a employed as a judge, but I find that hard to believe based on his actions tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's hard to believe?

Americans universally despise lawyers and politicians. What do you get when you cross a lawyer with a politician? A judge!

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The Economist just had an article cataloging judicial misbehavior in the U.S. ("Judges Behaving Badly", June 28, 2007, subscription may be required).

Here are some highlighted judges:

Grafton Minot Biddle, county judge in Colorado, who conducted an affair with a female prosecuter including sex in his chambers.

Albany City Court judge William A. Carter censured for actions on the bench including asking a defendant if he wanted a piece of him, and separately suggesting the police "thump the [censored]" out of a defendant.

Brooklyn judge Gerald Garson took bribes to rig divorce cases.

Donald D. Thompson of Oklahoma, who used a penis pump while holding court
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Maybe he was a ho, too.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"GUYS LIKE YOU" == "Young know-it-all punks who think they can do anything they want when they haven't done squat for their country"

I love how everybody assumes that if Mr X is in an altercation with a black person, he is automatically a racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a valid point, I guess nobody knows what was meant except the man who said it. I gave an opinion as to how the statement came across to me. I certainly don't assume a white dude is a racist because he is arguing with a black dude, if he wouldn't have made that comment I wouldn't even have thought race was an issue.
That's not really what I wanted to discuss here, so I probably shouldn't have even made that comment. I wanted to talk about what should and shouldn't be tolerated in a cardroom. What is considered over the line and grounds for getting booted? Some people have made the point that constant needling could be considered verbal abuse and grounds for removal and I could see that. If a player is just a constant problem day in and day out, giving others a hard time then management wouldn't want that player around. I think when you actually threaten someone that takes it to another level and definitely crosses a line.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't ban either one of these guys if it was a first offense. I'd give them both a warning here and tell them that if they are involved in another incident, they will be banned.

The judge would get a pass from me since he was provoked, though I wouldn't allow it again no matter the circumstances.

And the punk would be told that if he causes another incident or even draws a complaint from another player, that would be it for him.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He claims to be a employed as a judge, but I find that hard to believe based on his actions tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's hard to believe?

Americans universally despise lawyers and politicians. What do you get when you cross a lawyer with a politician? A judge!

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The Economist just had an article cataloging judicial misbehavior in the U.S. ("Judges Behaving Badly", June 28, 2007, subscription may be required).

Here are some highlighted judges:

Grafton Minot Biddle, county judge in Colorado, who conducted an affair with a female prosecuter including sex in his chambers.

Albany City Court judge William A. Carter censured for actions on the bench including asking a defendant if he wanted a piece of him, and separately suggesting the police "thump the [censored]" out of a defendant.

Brooklyn judge Gerald Garson took bribes to rig divorce cases.

Donald D. Thompson of Oklahoma, who used a penis pump while holding court

[/ QUOTE ]

The cheese sandwich analogy is brilliant.

Here in Broward County, Florida, both of the judges who heard the Anna Nicole stuff got themselves in trouble. The one guy got arrested a few weeks ago for smoking marijuana in a public park and agreed to retire, the other guy was caught accepting a couple of gifts and taking a loan from a lawyer in the public defender's office. And then there was the judge a week or so ago who had to recuse himself after he was overheard describing a case involving a minority defendant and victim as NHI (no humans involved).

We get the cream of the crop here in South Florida.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reggie, a young black male

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF does this have ANYTHING to do with your story!?!?!