Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: AQ with interesting flop 4/180

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I think I like leading more than check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what about after you are reraised here? After the fact I realized that with this hand, on this flop it was in my best interest to get to showdown cheaply. My hand also has value against a wider range than one that plays back at me. So check/call accomplishes both things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously thinks MP2 is a complete donktard despite the fact that he made it to level 4, hasn't played any hands that you have seen yet, and then CC your EP raise from MP (not that this is normally respectable but given the circumstances it seems more so here).

So he assigns the range of any pair or any ace and thinks you should get it A/I here if possible. He is so obviously correct that we should all just listen to him and check/raise A/I here.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what about after you are reraised here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. You will be behind and go broke sometimes. Just curious, do you see a senario where you lay this hand down? I don't. Maybe if it goes check/check and a Q comes on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

After the fact I realized that with this hand, on this flop it was in my best interest to get to showdown cheaply. My hand also has value against a wider range than one that plays back at me. So check/call accomplishes both things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is in your best interest get all the chips in on that flop. Against better players/deeper stacks then I would agree. Check/call does not accomplish that very well.

Your hand does have value against a wider range than one that plays back at me. However, the only value I see in check/calling is if you plan possibly folding at any point during the hand.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what about after you are reraised here? After the fact I realized that with this hand, on this flop it was in my best interest to get to showdown cheaply. My hand also has value against a wider range than one that plays back at me. So check/call accomplishes both things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously thinks MP2 is a complete donktard despite the fact that he made it to level 4, hasn't played any hands that you have seen yet, and then CC your EP raise from MP (not that this is normally respectable but given the circumstances it seems more so here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he made it to level 4 of a $4 doesn't mean much. And yes he hasn't seen him play a hand yet (all 6 of them). I guess that does mean some, but I don't think it means a whole lot.

[ QUOTE ]

He is so obviously correct that we should all just listen to him and check/raise A/I here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry I did not agree with you on this hand.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see that most of the time in these tourneys people are re-raising with AK as opposed to just calling so I would put a small percentage next to that hand. I think that he may have something like Ax, AT, QT, QJ, AJ, KQ, or TT.

You are a pretty big fav against Ax, QT, AJ, KJ, and KQ.
You are a dog to AT, QJ, KT, and TT. I think TT is unlikley as well because I think it would have prompted a re-raise. If he had a hand like QJ, I think he probably would have checked it. I think his raise is an info raise, he probably has an ace or middle pair with a straight draw and wants to see whether his kicker is good. If this was me I would probably lead the flop and shove over his re-raise. The only hand that I think has you beat at this point that would have probably taken villians line is KT.

If he was deeper I would probably reccomend a fold and wait for a better spot, but in a few hands antes are going to start coming in and he will have an M of 10. I would probably shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think you can discount AK as much as you are saying against an EP raise in a 4/180. At least you can't discount it enough to disallow it. This hand has played out very scary for Ax to want to be involved anymore as well. IMO there is no way KQ, KJ, or QT play back at me enough to even consider them in villians range. TT can clearly be calling and hoping for a low flop or to hit a set against an EP raise with position as well. And even though AT is not a favorable hand to call PF with here you have to add it in. I'll give you the KT line because that fits pretty good but again we are a way behind it. FWIW I would reraise with QJ if I was villian hoping Hero had AK.

If you are thinking about villian's range with the above in mind can you see why checking to get villian to put chips in with hands we are ahead of is optimal?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Anything else besides check/call on this board is pretty bad. I'd probably c/c the flop with the intention of a c/f on a bricked turn. I mean do you seriously think villain saw this flop and said "this is a great board for me to try a multi-street bluff?" Come on, if he's betting this on multiple streets, that's all the "information" I need...that board is scary a [censored] for anyone without a huge chunk of it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Just food for thought.

Getting it allin and winning showdown hero has t7760

Check/call followed by check/fold hero has ~t2500 depending on size of flop bet.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM

I would have liked to see the responses on what your 1st action on the flop should be if you hadn't shown the flop action.

The problem with checking on this flop to induce a bet from a weaker hand is that villain must bet often enough and check behind rarely enough to make it profitable.

I find most tight (6 hands is not much but does give some indication of tightness I think) players in the 4/180 are also not that aggressive, so if he's missed the flop (e.g. 55-99, or KJ,KQ,AJ - 66 possible holdings) then he may well check behind and get ahead of you on the turn with a free card. He's also going to be afraid of a CR from a 2 pair or better pair with draw.

However if he has TT,AK,AT (24 holdings) he may bet to protect his hand as board is quite drawish.

With the range I believe he has, he is probably behind (66 vs 24 holdings) and you need to protect your hand (which is after all TPTK) with a flop bet.

I play exactly the same and fold to the reraise.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM

I guess I just don't see the point of making a bet that doesn't really get called by worse hands and doesn't fold out any better hands. I'm not scared of giving a free card to hands with 2-5 outs, since it's gonna be easy for me to get away from our hand anyway. You also have a better chance to get worse hands to call a bet on later streets than you do on the flop. Like KQ will almost certainly fold to a flop bet, but if the flop and turn go c/c and the turn and river blank, he will almost certainly call a river value bet since your hand doesn't really look like TP.

As for the getting all in and winning t7760, if we get AI on this flop we'll be very lucky to have more than 4 outs, and a lot of the time villain will have a redraw against our 4 outs even if we do hit.

As it turned out, OP lost just as much money with this line as a c/c line would have lost. However, he lost the chance to draw at his 4 outer to the nuts.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As it turned out, OP lost just as much money with this line as a c/c line would have lost. However, he lost the chance to draw at his 4 outer to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly
Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't necessarily dislike this line but once again it allows villian to play closer to perfect against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. AJ calls a check/push a ton.

[ QUOTE ]
This really robs our AQ of any value we might get here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does check folding the turn.