Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12: A9s-what stage of Zee development am I at?

Raise pre-flop, not sure what you are beating on turn but was best card for you, you actually can win now call and hope to get lucky.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm happy that this post is getting a bit of discussion, that's why I posted it. The subject line refers to Ray Zee's ( I think it was him) concept that poker players go through stages including needing to learn to be aggressive, then learning when it is appropriate to be aggressive. Currently I think I am somewhere in that transition trying to be aggressive without being to aggressive, so I am delighted to see the discussion.

My additional thoughts on this hand were that the BB, being the big blind, had a largish range that included something like A7+, but not AA, JJ+, or two pair with or without the A. He did not seem the type to be betting draws himself.

In addition, I believe that my image was of a relatively aggressive player that might sometimes bluff. I had been raising more preflop and on the flop than anyone else at the table, and had previously shown down a winning A3o that I had raised on the flop immediately after a PF raiser.

Given all this I was hoping that the turn raise would let me see the showdown cheaply and disguise my hand in case it improved on the river.

I'll give it some more time, then post the action on the river.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Those suggesting a preflop raise from MP with one limper, why? What do you think the optimal number of players is for A9s? This is live, so you commonly see cold callers, does that make a difference in your decision to raise?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM

Get out blind trash.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 AM

The problem here is gap23 calculated odds as 13 outs, 23 misses. That's 36 cards, while the deck has 46. 33 to 13 against makes it much more clear that we don't have odds to cap. If BB is even slightly passive, he's not 3-betting without at LEAST 2pr on the flop; I think 13 outs is a bit on the high side, as 9's are rarely winning cards for us.

The turn raise is more likely to get 3-bet than achieve a free showdown. Are you that suspicious that BB doesn't beat one pair to need to show your hand down? Call turn, fold river UI.

-Curtis
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is gap23 calculated odds as 13 outs, 23 misses. That's 36 cards, while the deck has 46. 33 to 13 against makes it much more clear that we don't have odds to cap. If BB is even slightly passive, he's not 3-betting without at LEAST 2pr on the flop; I think 13 outs is a bit on the high side, as 9's are rarely winning cards for us.

The turn raise is more likely to get 3-bet than achieve a free showdown. Are you that suspicious that BB doesn't beat one pair to need to show your hand down? Call turn, fold river UI.

-Curtis

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]oops, nice catch, so we need 3 calls, 2 on turn, one on river...oh, well, sometimes my best use is as a good bad example
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM

This doesn't look like a hand where we want to buy a free showdown. I just call the turn, fold a blank on the river and raise a club (obv).