Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Strattera(ADHD med) making me feel like crap

You kind of sound like a nit.

Just tell your doctor what you want, and get it.

Then sell the pills for money once you get the prescription and realize the drug isn't all that you think it is.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Pergesu.

Do you think it would be inappropriate to suggest Adderall by name? This will be my third visit coming up. First was early May, second was late June, and third will be late July.

[/ QUOTE ]
"I saw Adderall on TV, it's supposed to be good. Some of my friends take it and say it works great. I'd like to try it"
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 AM

thanks pergesu ill do that
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 AM

what seems to be your boggle? Just ask your doctor for the drugs like others have suggested.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 AM

dude euro you must be the only guy on here who has seen demolition man.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 AM

Did you get some kind of weird vibe from the doctor or why are you so worried about appearing to be drug seeking? I've never seen a psychiatrist who wasn't open to changing drugs and most good ones will lay out the options and ask you if you have any strong feelings, since some work for some people and not for others and we have no idea why.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you get some kind of weird vibe from the doctor or why are you so worried about appearing to be drug seeking? I've never seen a psychiatrist who wasn't open to changing drugs and most good ones will lay out the options and ask you if you have any strong feelings, since some work for some people and not for others and we have no idea why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Swing,

the vibe i got is that he's not willing to put me on stimulants. adderall has something like 40 million scripts in the US and strattera has something like 4 mil i think. ritalin has a ton too like at least 20 million i think. i feel like most psychiatrists would try people on a stimulant first but i think this guy doesn't want to put me on one. maybe i'm wrong. maybe he'll be fine with switching me.

i think the key here is that the stimulants are a schedule II controlled substance so i'd only be able to get 30 days at a time with no refills, whereas with the strattera he can write me like a years worth at a time if he wants. that could be why hed be reluctant
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 AM

Hmm, occasionally doctors of all sorts can freak out about certain things and do dumb stuff. Bring up your concerns as openly as you can. I would say something like this:

Dr. Smith, this medicine really isn't for me. I've had burining pee, difficulty orgasming, etc, etc. I've started reading a ton of stuff about ADD and talking to friends about what meds they've taken. Do you think Adderall would be an ok drug for me to try?

Go from there. If he insists on non-stimulant treatments, ask him why. Doctors are people you hire to take care you. You choose them to provide you with a service. They aren't doing you some favor. They aren't infallible. Other docs quickly pick up on who the asshats are in their profession. Don't worry that questioning a doctor will blacklist you or anything you've seen on Seinfeld.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 AM

thanks doc great post. you're right. and i mean this is the only approved non-stimulant drug for ADD so he really does have to try me on a stimulant. he can't have me stay on a drug with these terrible sides so if he refuses to provide me with a stimulant, it's time for me to say goodbye to him.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 AM

I've started strattera twice and had bad side effects both times, most notably extreme dizzyness. i also lost weight and had a decreased sex drive. i'd ditch it and go with a stimulant - your doctor will almost certainly prescribe one for you and if he won't just go somewhere else.