Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Moving back in tees

You shouldn't stat playing from the tips until you're <10 handicap, and you shouldn't start playing from the blues (if there are 4 sets...women, white, blue, and whatever - black/gold etc) until you're <20.

If you can't break 100, stay on the white tees...please.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough guy? You have a bogey golfer from the whites moving back 25-50 yards. Now they're all shooting 100. Four guys shooting 100 from the Back tees should not be there. At all. And if they are, they should be waving everyone through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shooting 100 from the back tees can be more fun than shooting 90 from the whites, if it means hitting more varied shots. And since I can do it in a foursome, walking and carrying our own bags, in 3 hours or so, anyone fast enough to play through is more than welcome to.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tough guy? You have a bogey golfer from the whites moving back 25-50 yards. Now they're all shooting 100. Four guys shooting 100 from the Back tees should not be there. At all. And if they are, they should be waving everyone through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shooting 100 from the back tees can be more fun than shooting 90 from the whites, if it means hitting more varied shots. And since I can do it in a foursome, walking and carrying our own bags, in 3 hours or so, anyone fast enough to play through is more than welcome to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a rare angel that can play quickly. In western PA, courses are short and heavily wooded. Narrow shoots are the norm here and slow play is a plague. Maybe links or desert players can get away with hitting a drive right and then a long iron right, but here -- that's a 20 minute hole.

Maybe it's geographical, I don't know, but for the sanity of Western PA golfers, please don't tell anyone around here to move back when they've got a handicap of 20.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's geographical, I don't know, but for the sanity of Western PA golfers, please don't tell anyone around here to move back when they've got a handicap of 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well his posting style is more Arnold Shwarzenegger than Arnold Palmer, but I'm going to have to agree. We just fought through clouds of gypsy moths here in Central PA on our new low-cost but nicely designed local forest course, and it is nothing if not full of trees. Put it this way, last year they cleared about a dozen trees from the middle of the fairway on the hardest hole just to give us a fighting chance. We're not talking 5' wide junipers or poplars either, we're talking 80' tall, 45' wide mammoth oaks. I wonder how many deer ticks catch rides home on a daily basis from this course.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a rare angel that can play quickly. In western PA, courses are short and heavily wooded. Narrow shoots are the norm here and slow play is a plague. Maybe links or desert players can get away with hitting a drive right and then a long iron right, but here -- that's a 20 minute hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to tell you, but you're fighting an uphill battle telling ed, who is from Westchester, NY, that he doesn't understand what it's like to play tight, heavily-wooded courses.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are ignoring the fact that the blues at OP's course may not be the back tees.

[/ QUOTE ]
New rule: If anyone ever cites "the blue tees" or anything similar, without a qualifying statement, and it turns out they're not talking about the back tees, that person will be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry guys, I definitely didn't mean the tips, those are orange here. I guess I meant the "men's tees"? I'm no where near ready for the tips. You need special permission from the clubhouse to play them anyway. Is the consensus still shooting at least in the 80s before moving to the tees right behind the whites?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are ignoring the fact that the blues at OP's course may not be the back tees.

[/ QUOTE ]
New rule: If anyone ever cites "the blue tees" or anything similar, without a qualifying statement, and it turns out they're not talking about the back tees, that person will be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry guys, I definitely didn't mean the tips, those are orange here. I guess I meant the "men's tees"? I'm no where near ready for the tips. You need special permission from the clubhouse to play them anyway. Is the consensus still shooting at least in the 80s before moving to the tees right behind the whites?

[/ QUOTE ]
Needing permission from the clubhouse to play from the back tees is pretty funny. Just out of curiosity, how long is the course?

Most courses only have 3 sets of tees, so the ones behind the whites are generally the tips. Given that they aren't, no you don't need to be playing as well to go back to them most likely (unless it's one of those courses where the "blues" are 7100 yards and then the ones behind that are like 7400). I still think you should wait til you get a little better to start moving back, but honestly, as long as you're not holding anyone up behind you do whatever's the most fun.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Needing permission from the clubhouse to play from the back tees is pretty funny. Just out of curiosity, how long is the course?

Most courses only have 3 sets of tees, so the ones behind the whites are generally the tips. Given that they aren't, no you don't need to be playing as well to go back to them most likely (unless it's one of those courses where the "blues" are 7100 yards and then the ones behind that are like 7400). I still think you should wait til you get a little better to start moving back, but honestly, as long as you're not holding anyone up behind you do whatever's the most fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually a par 70 and compared to championship courses it's short as hell.. it's 6700 from the orange, 6200 from the blues, 5750 from the white. I think you need special permission because the UF golf team is there all the time and they don't want random college students slowing down the collegiate players, which is understandable in my opinion.

As far as playing speed goes, we never slow people down. In fact, as bad as me and my friends are, we play through people all the time. I never look for a lost ball more than 2 minutes at the most and we all pretty much just walk up to the ball and whack it. Most of our strokes come from having a minimum of 3 putts per green or trying to pitch it onto the green and sending it back and forth over a few times, although we're working on that. I'll definitely be moving back to the whites until I can shoot in the 90s consistently and then move back 1 set of tees, especially considering there's no course in Gainesville more than 6500 from the blues.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 AM

I really disagree with the sentiment that you need to be a 10 handicap to play the tips. Thats very unreasonable imo. I've never in my life been a 10 handicap and have played the blues since I was 13-14 (20 now) and haven't ever felt a bit out of place at those tees. I'd say that if you feel comfortable back there and shoot a reasonable (read: sub-100) score most of the time then playing the blues is fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:25 AM

BLUES DO NOT = TIPS!!!

If there's 3 sets of tees, then they're not really the 'tips'...Tips are usually the 4th set behind white and blue...often black or gold.