Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Three SLAG hands

[ QUOTE ]
My definition of SLAG is 'Slightly loose preflop, hypergaggressive postflop".

[/ QUOTE ]

New definition taken.

[ QUOTE ]
It does not mean stupid, quite the contrary.

For example, HAND 1. Villain actually cold-called with 77. His raise (and he'd probably cap) - was it stupid with Ace showing against tight preflop raiser? No, it was very aggressive though. He might have put me on a steal and tried to represent the Ace himself. If I show too much aggression too fast, he'll know I flopped top pair and can safely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he puts you on a steal, the coldcall preflop was pretty bad. It invites the blinds to come in with cards > 7. This is a standard preflop 3-bet with often the best hand. It would be more interesting to "know" his plan when he doesn't hit a 2-outer.

[ QUOTE ]
He got his two-outer on the turn, which was completely disguised. I actually though pocket 88 after he 3-bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts were similar. I thought he flopped a set or possibly two pair with A8o.

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Knowing what we know (pocket 77) do you still think 3-betting the flop is correct? Majority of the time the villain correctly deduces ace in the hole and mucks. I'm telling you - raise/fold are becoming very common plays

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how he will play the rest of the hand. If he's dumb (and I claim that he probably is), he'll bet the turn and river even though it's pretty clear you're calling down. If he's better than that, I'd rather 3-bet but more for metagame reasons. I would also 3-bet flush draws, straight draws, and maybe even overcard-type hands.

Against raise/fold players, I worry less about making extra money with strong hands and worry more about making extra money with weak hands.

You have to be able to identify the specific playing styles of the villains, especially in heads up pots. Some give up fast and others bet until you raise them. Know which ones check behind on the river because you will want to get your value raises in on the turn instead. Pay attention to your image and the flop texture.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM

I really think this SLAG is a style that depends quite a bit upon reads and image, and so it may be tough to say 'this is proper SLAG' and 'this is spew'. Basically you're testing the threshold for the table and making sure you go beyond it to get them to fold. Once you get a feel for their threshold, if they go beyond it you know you can fold.

Basically you're building fold equity with table image. How is that represented in a posting of one, two or three hands?

Look, I went apeshit with this hand! Is it SLAG?

And yet... somehow, I think three hands with the words 'Hero calls' in them when it isn't a cap don't really represent 'SLAG'.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Classic definition of screwplay, as far as I know, goes like

FLOP: Hero bets, villain calls
TURN: Hero checks, villain bets, hero C/Rs

Variation is when villain raises the flop and hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought part of the definition of a screwplay was that hero has the initiative. Kind of like it's only a donkbet if the person betting does not have the initiative.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 is not a screwplay

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought a 'screwplay' was calling a raise on the flop then c/r the turn ... since I am wrong what is a screwplay?

I apologize in advance if a thread side-track like this is bad etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only reason why hand 1 isn't a screwplay is because hero got raised & only called on flop. However if Hero had 3bet & villain called then he c/r turn in that hand then that would be a screwplay. Another example is if we bet & villain only calls flop (of course followed by a turn c/r).

example: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post10995815
Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think this SLAG is a style that depends quite a bit upon reads and image, and so it may be tough to say 'this is proper SLAG' and 'this is spew'. Basically you're testing the threshold for the table and making sure you go beyond it to get them to fold. Once you get a feel for their threshold, if they go beyond it you know you can fold.

Basically you're building fold equity with table image. How is that represented in a posting of one, two or three hands?

And yet... somehow, I think three hands with the words 'Hero calls' in them when it isn't a cap don't really represent 'SLAG'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I didn't make it clear in the post - Hero is NOT trying to play SLAG style. Hero is playing AGAINST SLAGs.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Gib,

Correction taken. Indeed, Hero needs to have initiative all the way on the flop OOP and seemingly give it up on the turn, planning to C/R.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Hand 1 is fine I think, only on a drawless board though IMO.

Hand 3 I would go for a river c/r if villian is aggressive.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahhahahahhahahhaha. i lold.

I think you should get over this slag fantasy remy. how about you play some solid poker first, then try personalising your style?

and before you say: "zomg i have played full ring, i read lots, yadda, yadda, ya". I really don't think playing some kind of "slag" game is going to get you far at 50/1.

I don't know what you are trying to get out of these three hands?

Hand1: You play aggressivly with a strong hand.

Hand2: I've got the nuts so I bet and raise.

Hand3: I've got the nuts so I bet and raise.

Although, I don't understand your line in hand3.

I just don't understand you new fascination with this slag idea.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 AM

OOSnitch ... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I think you are misunderstanding me ... I am not trying to personalize my style. I am not trying to become a SLAG. I am not trying to post hands to see how fancy a$$-backwards tricky $hit I can pull. It's none of it.

All my "fascination with SLAG idea" boils down to one simple thing - players with 29/18/4 are the majority of players in FR now. I am trying to figure out how to play SOLID POKER against them. That's all.

If I bored everyone to death with it by now, I will shut up.

[ QUOTE ]
"zomg i have played full ring, i read lots, yadda, yadda, ya"

[/ QUOTE ]

Uncalled for. Find one post where I beat myself on the chest and say something along these lines.

Over and out.
RemyXO