Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: ($1k NL) Interesting river decision with trips.

I'm sorry I misread the part about a half pot bet..multitrabling...I thought he was talking about min raising the guys actual river bet which was for the pot.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry I misread the part about a half pot bet..multitrabling...I thought he was talking about min raising the guys actual river bet which was for the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I hope I dont play that bad
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Fold pre-flop.

Too early to play this garbage IMO.

I like postlfop if you called river.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop. Too early to play this garbage IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 8 handed, nit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM

I default fold this hand here preflop as well. If you were in the HJ or CO I would be fine with it. I don't think it is terrible though, and I would probably make the same play if I had some reads.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Tough spot here. PF and flop are good, but I don't like the check behind on the turn. By betting the turn, you accomplish two things: you show even more strength, making a play against you on the river less likely, and you give him a chance to define his hand for cheaper than a river pot bet because the turn check/raise is a made hand an insane amount of the time, especially vs an unknown (since you are most likely an unknown to him, as well).

The flop is terrible to just randomly float off vs a relatively early pf raiser. This reduces his river hands to either big hands or missed draw bluffs (this includes hands like T9 that have a pair, but are effectively bluffs). Your hand, though it is trips, is just a bluff-catcher. I don't think a value raise here will be called by enough worse hands in the range (JT is about it, and that's a crying call), and it definitely won't fold out any better hands. The board is just too bad from both points of view.

So raising is out. Pot odds of 2:1, so we have to win 1/3 of the time for this to be correct. Villain's line here is textbook lower-stakes "Dammit, I made my flush on the turn and checked it and he was supposed to bet but he didn't and now I have to make up that value", and I just don't see a bluff here that often. If villain's plan was for a club bluff, I think he would've led the turn. I'd fold here most of the time for over 2x what I've already invested, but it's definitely not an easy decision.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Folding the river is standard. If you've got some read that says otherwise call. He just isn't vbetting worse here very often.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By betting the turn, you accomplish two things: you show even more strength, making a play against you on the river less likely

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to make a play against me on the river less likely? I want to make a play on the river against me MORE likely...

[ QUOTE ]
and you give him a chance to define his hand for cheaper than a river pot bet because the turn check/raise is a made hand an insane amount of the time, especially vs an unknown (since you are most likely an unknown to him, as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but the problem is that I don't want to get c/r off my hand because I have outs to some of his made hands that he is c/r me with (like if he has 2 pr, set, straight, no club - I have club outs, if he has 2 pr I also have trip outs and higher 2 pr outs, etc...).

I understand your reasoning but have to disagree with you here.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like betting the turn in this hand, esp since it is an A. There is a decent chance the A helped him

[/ QUOTE ]

What cards would the A help that weren't already ahead of you? You really think he's playing A9 like this?

[ QUOTE ]
I want to make a play on the river against me MORE likely...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, only if you're prepared to call the river, which you apparently aren't.

I think you see the flush/better or QT here the majority of the time. You can hope JT is VBing this hard on river, and that's about it.. I'd fold it.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like betting the turn in this hand, esp since it is an A. There is a decent chance the A helped him

[/ QUOTE ]

What cards would the A help that weren't already ahead of you? You really think he's playing A9 like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah A7, A9 hell even AT, AQ, AK. And of course AJ.

I only said 'decent' chance meaning that they are in his range and should be considered.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to make a play on the river against me MORE likely...

[ QUOTE ]

lol, only if you're prepared to call the river, which you apparently aren't.

I think you see the flush/better or QT here the majority of the time. You can hope JT is VBing this hard on river, and that's about it.. I'd fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm apparently not prepared to call the river? What gave you that impression? I said a few times in this thread that I was planning to call the river when I checked the turn.