Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: 1500 WSOP battle of the big stacks

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop call, and I check behind on turn with the plan on calling a river bet.

I flat call the flop as getting 4 bet here is a disater IMO, and I want to see what he'll do on the turn before deciding how strong/weak he is. I check behind on turn for the reasons stated above (Woodguy etc...).

If he checks the river, I probably check behind as well, I can't see enough hands in his range that can call a value bet. I probably want to see what his hand is as well, so really wana get to showdown here.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 bet is a disaster? We are basically committed to going allin with any raise we make.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

bet call shuv
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM

i've written out two responses to this thread and then gave up on them and hit the back button. this one i'll finish.

I like raising the flop to like 25k. Do your best to look like a stubborn AK - so adjust line as neccesary for the exact situation. If you've floated a bit and taken pots down on the turn, then i dont hate calling and betting the turn, but i'd only do it if your flop raise would get loads of respect (for example if villain was always folding JJ, or even sometimes folding KQ).
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM

I don't really like 3 betting AQ preflop when I know I can't call a shove. I'd rather just play position and milk him with his weaker aces and queens.

Him tanking preflop is a little scary. You gave him great odds to call so he's probably deciding whether to reraise or just call.

I like flat calling the flop and checking behind on the turn. If the guy is any good he's folding every hand worse than ours and shoving any better hand when we raise. The only reason to raise would be to push out the draws which I think are a very slim part of his lead flop range.

I play this hand for pot control because I think AQ is behind here a decent amount of the time.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like 3 betting AQ preflop when I know I can't call a shove. I'd rather just play position and milk him with his weaker aces and queens.

Him tanking preflop is a little scary. You gave him great odds to call so he's probably deciding whether to reraise or just call.

I like flat calling the flop and checking behind on the turn. If the guy is any good he's folding every hand worse than ours and shoving any better hand when we raise. The only reason to raise would be to push out the draws which I think are a very slim part of his lead flop range.

I play this hand for pot control because I think AQ is behind here a decent amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man, the guy open raised on the cutoff with a big stack, was facing a relatively small reraise with antes in the pot. I think his range of hands should be very wide, although it narrows a bit after the bet-out. I'd assume our hand is the best at this point and if it wasn't I would be ready to lose all my chips. I mean the way the hand went, you have a gigantic pot and a good yet vulnerable hand, yet everyone wants to play in a manner that simply gives two free cards to the opponent on a very dangerous board.

Also I definitely like reraising preflop by a longshot. Our hand is very strong given the situation. It's very difficult for our opponent to 4-bet given the stack sizes. If he wants to raise he should usually be committing all his chips, so he has to risk like 95k to win the 20-23k or so that will be in the pot.

I dunno, honestly I really hate a lot of the advice people are giving in this hand. To me every decision is extremely clear. Reraise preflop, raise the flop, nothing else feels even close to me.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 AM

I read all the responses.

This is the second hand that the guy has been dealt, and he raised both of them. He comes in with a monster stack. Seems to me this is a superaggro guy who wants control of the table right away-- he was probably feared and respected at his previous table and he wants that same fear and respect now.

His range is ATC.

So, I raise the flop. I count 6 hands that are ahead of us here. If he pushes back then you have that moment that sickens and excites most of us-- making a live read for all your chips on whether this guy is full of [censored], on a FD, or somehow managed to have two pair or better on this flop. Most of the time I don't think the hand gets this far as you will take it down with your pot-committing flop raise.

Interesting spot. The way i've been running I'm sooooo off the mark and he has KK....
Old 07-02-2007, 04:11 AM

glad this got some good discussion he folded to the turn bet lately told me he had an awfuly played AK.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've written out two responses to this thread and then gave up on them and hit the back button. this one i'll finish.

I like raising the flop to like 25k. Do your best to look like a stubborn AK - so adjust line as neccesary for the exact situation. If you've floated a bit and taken pots down on the turn, then i dont hate calling and betting the turn, but i'd only do it if your flop raise would get loads of respect (for example if villain was always folding JJ, or even sometimes folding KQ).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I raise to like 25k hoping to leave myself enough room to make villain think he might get me to fold if he attempts a creative semi bluff shove or calls and jams a turn.

BTW, this is Bond on pacmann's computer.

If the flop is Q6X i like calling a lot better but with Q9x its a bit more out of my comfort zone.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Check the turn to induce river bluff holla.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 AM

Curtains is 100% correct. Anyone who doesn't raise this flop and take it down immediately is a fancy playing geek. You just call and his king rolls off on the turn and you're a [censored] idiot. In tourneys TPTK is the nuts 95% of the time. Keep it simple. That's all.