Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth Re-Breaks Most Cashes Record in 5000 NLHE 6-handed

Oh well. I was really hoping for a televised heads-up finale between Zee Justin and Hellmuth after their encounters yesterday.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's so funny how if he loses a race he flips out like someone just killed his dog, but if he sucks out on someone he just smiles and tells everyone he's playing the best poker of his life and has that stupid smirk on his face as if he deserved to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol the man lives in his world, which he has designed with the exclusive purpose of being able to dominate WSOP events and annoy people like you. I played with him this series, and I thought he was kind of fun to play with and that underneath everything, he was sort of a goofy, big-hearted guy. He's a really fascinating case-study and, regardless of what you think you know about his personality and his game, he's really amazing at what he does and in total control of his actions.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil is one of best all time NL tournament players. No one can really dispute that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's so funny how if he loses a race he flips out like someone just killed his dog, but if he sucks out on someone he just smiles and tells everyone he's playing the best poker of his life and has that stupid smirk on his face as if he deserved to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol the man lives in his world, which he has designed with the exclusive purpose of being able to dominate WSOP events and annoy people like you. I played with him this series, and I thought he was kind of fun to play with and that underneath everything, he was sort of a goofy, big-hearted guy. He's a really fascinating case-study and, regardless of what you think you know about his personality and his game, he's really amazing at what he does and in total control of his actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for when he's not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's really amazing at what he does and in total control of his actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like laying in the corner and crying because some guy kept reraising him?

Hellmuth was a big cry baby pussie before tournaments even were televised.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was he telling the table how loose you are while you were in hands with other people? some of the stories i have heard from this year have him being way out of line. Most of his antics I don't really care either way, but he seems to be pushing the envelope as far as possible to see what he can get away with because of his celebrity.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's good someone balances out the haters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Thank you. I just feel like Hellmuth never gets a fair shake on this site. A lot of young internet players hate him (and base their opinions on some erratic plays he made on HSP3 or whatever). On the flip side, any young new aggressive internet pro is treated like a god on these boards and half of these guys are one-trick-pony tellboxes live (who will inevitably go busto within a year and never win one bracelet ever...).

Anyway, every thread doesnt have to be dominated by negativity and anonymous sniping and potshots and trolling. I think it is ok, and even educational, to show respect towards a successful player who may incorporate some old school methods and some new school methods into a winning style that can overcome "variance" more than many excuse-laden internet guys think is humanly possible.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

was he telling the table how loose you are while you were in hands with other people? some of the stories i have heard from this year have him being way out of line. Most of his antics I don't really care either way, but he seems to be pushing the envelope as far as possible to see what he can get away with because of his celebrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously I don't agree with that, and I'm glad ZeeJustin spoke up.

But Phil's A-hole Act is just amazing if you can manage to not be bothered by it. He'll refer to his opponents in the third person when they're right there and say with a straight face that "they probably can't even spell 'poker,'" and he'll say things like, "I'm light years ahead of everybody in no limit--they don't even understand," and I'm pretty sure he half believes it, but also that it's designed to tilt people and win him tournaments, even at the expense of rationality or sanity. I could never be like that, but it's pretty interesting to witness.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:53 AM

It's live poker, baby.

(and props to Shaniac, one of the few great internet players to give Hellmuth props)