Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Vegans...

[ QUOTE ]
Lets be as clear as we can about things, and not misuse terminology. Are you opposed to me pulling weeds in my garden? Harvesting corn and wheat? All of those are composed of cells that are dividing. We are terminating life in all those cases. You would say "Anyone who thinks there is nothing wrong with farming is deluding themselves?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, it seems to me that the vegans I've spoken to like to think of abortion as somehow the equivalent of killing a worm or a mosquito, which is a true head-scratcher to me. Again, I don't want to get into a huge abortion thing, I'm just questioning that if vegans adhere to a person moral belief that preservation/protection of life is important, that this belief should cause some serious conflict with the abortion issue. Even if it's some kind of sliding scale, I would think a human fetus is still pretty high up on the chain...not down with mosquitos and worms.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lets be as clear as we can about things, and not misuse terminology. Are you opposed to me pulling weeds in my garden? Harvesting corn and wheat? All of those are composed of cells that are dividing. We are terminating life in all those cases. You would say "Anyone who thinks there is nothing wrong with farming is deluding themselves?"

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory? Yes. And some Fruitarians may agree in practice, eating only fruit that has fallen from the plant. But in my life, there's obviously lines that must be drawn as far as acceptability of destroying life. And destroying plant life in order that I might eat is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why such a reverence for life? or do you see a problem with destroying the wrapper on a bar of chocolate as well?

What's so special about a cucumber?

chez
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And destroying plant life in order that I might eat is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
And the difference between plant life and a chicken is....

And please don't say "a brain". I've dealt with chickens, I know better.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And destroying plant life in order that I might eat is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
And the difference between plant life and a chicken is....

And please don't say "a brain". I've dealt with chickens, I know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a similar difference that you find between a cow and a human. (Assuming you eat cows and do not eat humans)
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why such a reverence for life? or do you see a problem with destroying the wrapper on a bar of chocolate as well?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapper? No. I have little attachment to it. But, in general, who am I to destroy life? I'm made of the same things they are; we're all part of the same world. And if I can live fine causing minimal disturbance among the lives of others (animals/plants included), I feel as though I should. No need, imo, to needlessly disrupt things.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a vegan but you support a woman's right to choose, that's fine. Just like you support my right to eat meat. But do you have the same personal feelings or moral issues with someone who eats/produces/slaughters meat as you do with someone who gets/performs an abortion?

[/ QUOTE ]
Both are distasteful practices. One kills one lifeform (not yet conscious or feeling) in order to spare a woman from months of carrying it and a possibly 18 years of caring for it.

The other breeds and kills multiple feeling organisms on a regular basis solely because of habit and mild pleasure.

It's a question of scale. And that's without getting into the issue of raising animals just to kill them. As an analogy, people would be more against "fetus farms", where women grow fetuses to a couple of months and then abort them for medical research. Under your reckoning provided in OP, fetus farms and regular abortions would be equivalent. But they're clearly not.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapper? No. I have little attachment to it. But, in general, who am I to destroy life? I'm made of the same things they are; we're all part of the same world. And if I can live fine causing minimal disturbance among the lives of others (animals/plants included), I feel as though I should. No need, imo, to needlessly disrupt things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine if that's your personal issue but you can't just insist that its based on anything real and so applies to anybody else. Personally, I couldn't care less about killing a cucumber.

chez
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM

how can abortion not be a life or death issue?

A fetus will either be allowed to continue being alive or forced to die.

I dont think you can disagree with that statement
Old 06-25-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine if that's your personal issue but you can't just insist that its based on anything real and so applies to anybody else. Personally, I couldn't care less about killing a cucumber.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. I'm sure you read my other posts where I suggested that I would respect your autonomy and not physically stop you from eating your cucumber.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a question of scale. And that's without getting into the issue of raising animals just to kill them. As an analogy, people would be more against "fetus farms", where women grow fetuses to a couple of months and then abort them for medical research. Under your reckoning provided in OP, fetus farms and regular abortions would be equivalent. But they're clearly not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that people think preservation of human life (in any stage) is more important than preservation of animal life (even if both are regarded as important practices). You're equating human life and animal life on the same exact place on the scale, which most people will disagree with.