Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: I just read this about the White Stripes and it mystified me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jay Z doesn't even write [censored] down!

[/ QUOTE ]

this was what came to mind when I started reading this thread. There was a pretty awesome thing that some hiphop magazine did, XXL probably, which was a 'making of' Notorious BIG's Life After Death, and there was a story about Jay-Z and Biggie in the studio pacing in the same room, crossing paths, both mumbling to themselves creating their verses for 'I Love The Dough'

[/ QUOTE ]

Their verses aren't exactly sophisticated, though. Very impressive either way, but there's a large difference between poetry rife with metaphor and symbolism and a rhyming about money.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: the album sounding 'scratchy'

Jack White intentionally uses inferior recording equipment. It's part of his sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by the way, "lo fi" is complete crap. It's just as fake as overproduced glossy music. I hate it and it's a silly trend. I want to hear it the way they played it in the studio, period.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Well, when your songs are as simple as his...I can see it.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jack White intentionally uses inferior recording equipment. It's part of his sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by the way, "lo fi" is complete crap. It's just as fake as overproduced glossy music. I hate it and it's a silly trend. I want to hear it the way they played it in the studio, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Music is art, and art can and should be delivered to the audience in whichever state and by whichever means the artist sees fit.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM

I can't wait to see them at ACL this year...it's gonna rock.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Music is art, and art can and should be delivered to the audience in whichever state and by whichever means the artist sees fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. Not much else to say.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Ryan Adams has done a fair amount of recording at my brother's studio in NYC. He was visiting me in St. Louis and Ryan called him, all high on coke wanting to do a session. Being the owner of the studio, he spent the next 90 minutes on the phone gathering musicians and an engineer so Ryan could make his music. I think that coke fueled session lasted 36 hours. BTW, the call came in at one in the morning. Apparently, this is standard practice for Ryan.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM

A very common scenario is that the band shows up at the studio with 12 songs and the producer or label rep says "seven of these songs are crap" and the band has to write the rest of the album there in the studio with the label dorks breathing down their necks.

This is one reason that bands' first albums usually kick ass and the following ones have only a few good songs... the first one was recorded before the label paid too much attention.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Art is for the audience, I'm the audience, and I say it's crap. If he doesn't like it, then he should just play it for himself.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A very common scenario is that the band shows up at the studio with 12 songs and the producer or label rep says "seven of these songs are crap" and the band has to write the rest of the album there in the studio with the label dorks breathing down their necks.

This is one reason that bands' first albums usually kick ass and the following ones have only a few good songs... the first one was recorded before the label paid too much attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more that a band's first album contains their best songs written over the span of several years (usually), while the second album usually contains an equal number of songs written in a few months.