Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Smooth Calling Raises With Aces

I agree that my play was certainly not optimal in my original example. Even though villain admitted that he felt that due to the way I played it (not 3 betting preflop and betting into him rather than cr) that I had a weak hand. Basically smooth calling preflop created a situation where my opponent trapped himself on the turn and was drawing to a slim 5 outs. Now whether aces and kings are 'designed' to lose because on-line poker is rigged is another matter [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

In general though what I gather from the comments is that it's hard to build a case for smooth calling with aces unless villain is a known maniac post flop. The risk vs. reward just doesn't justify letting a weaker hand see the flop without charging them a premium. I will definately go back to 3 betting them 99% of the time
Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM

The good thing about 3betting aces pre is that if you have a relatively wide 3betting range (i.e. more than just AA-QQ) then your range when you do shove the flop becomes much wider and therefore its more profitable for you because your opponents will stack off lighter.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Smooth Calling Raises With Aces (6 max)

I've had the opposite experience at $25 NL. I think because everyone expects you to 3 bet when you have aces or kings that no one gives you credit for such a big hand. I was able to stack someone who raised UTG with KJ when a K hit on the flop. I also will try to only smooth call when I'll be heads up. I always re-raise if there's a raise and a call in front of me. I stacked another player when I had aces in the BB. It got folded around to the SB and he raised and I smooth called. He had A9 suited and he called my all in reraise after the turn brought the second card of his suit.

Anyway just relaying my recent experience.

Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM

Yeah I agree that this is the best way to go and it's how I was playing prior to this botched experiment.