Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: My *#(@! Wife wants to invest in a pyramid scheme

divorce
Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Even though pyramid schemes are retarded most of the time, you can actually make money if you get in early enough some of the times, if you're ok with it ethically. It's a gamble of course, but it's not the same as burning money. I've played a bit with some company called Studiotraffic if anyone remembers it a few years ago, and made a healthy amount of money. I think I invested $800 initially and got lucky the company didn't collapse for close to two years. I wound up making 4-5k, and I personally know someone who made 70k+ from it who was not affiliated in anyway, just took a serious gamble.

Then again, you might as well tell your wife to "invest" 1k and bet it all on blackjack 5 times in a row. Chances and payoff are probably similar to most online pyramid schemes.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Default BRIDGE FOR SALE IN BROOKLYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: My *#(@! Wife wants to invest in a pyramid scheme.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes people need to make their own mistakes, why ruin your marriage over it? Seems like you can take a 1-2k hit and still be ok afterwards. If you can't talk her out of it, just at least get her to agree to cap the amount of $ she'll put in it (and lose obv) and move on.

SteveOMS

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with these schemes are that they involve friends and family who else are you going to be able to recruit sell the stuff cold at the mall or on the street?
There is the real problem and the money might matter to a soon to be ex friend!

Hope you talk her out of it. Kristoffer
Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM

I think it's better to let her find out the hard way on this one. Tell her you love her and respect her if you mean it and can do it honestly and w/o anger. Tell her you have her best interest in mind, but at the end of the day, if you physically stop her or pschologically force her, then she will resent you. And this resent will probably grow later.

Tell her why you think she's doing this (because she feels as if her savings are diminishing, she needs to make "easier" money, etc etc). Overall, be honest, but in a cool, non confrontational way.

I was gonna say, put your foot down, but as long as she doesn't invest ANY more than $500, I think it'll be a good lesson. Probably better if she does do it.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:31 PM

Emu farms.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 PM

Big Bend, try to get her to get a full medical check-up as soon as possible. If you have been married 20 years, I'm going to assume that you would have noticed by now if she was always an idiot. There are a number of illnesses that would cause a formerly bright person to start making poor decisions. Some women have temporary problems with logic and memory as a result of menopause or chemo. That usually passes, so she just need some awareness while it's going on. Some problems will continue to get worse without treatment, such as pernicious anemia. Worst case I knew, the woman was not that old, still in her thirties, but she suddenly went crazy and spent all of the husband's money and was secretly charging things even after he tried to stop her. Turned out she had multiple schlerosis that started in her brain. She died, but not before making a huge mess. Some problems will never get any better, so you just need to be aware for smart financial planning, such as early onset Alzheimer's. I hope she is OK but it needs to be looked at when a person is behaving strangely and out of character. If she had always been naive, it would be a little less concerning.

The worst thing about MLM is not the money it steals but the relationships with other family members and friends that it kills. These things depend on drawing others into the scheme. It really does tear families and friends apart. So you can't let her play with this, to learn a lesson, as others advise, because the lesson comes at too high a price. There are people I still hide from, because they got involved in this [censored].
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh.

yeah...... I think you can probably chalk this one up to bored housewife wants to "make something of herself". Blah blah, it is very common. I doubt BB's wife has early-onset alzheimers.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Bored housewives have affairs. Amway et. al. is not the cure for boredom, sorry. Think it through. At my age, I've seen it many many times and suspect I know a little more about older women than you do. Just a hunch!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bored housewives have affairs. Amway et. al. is not the cure for boredom, sorry. Think it through. At my age, I've seen it many many times and suspect I know a little more about older women than you do. Just a hunch!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ thinking women know more about themselves than men do.

And I'm sure BB appreciates you intimating that his wife has a degenerative condition (because if she didn't, the proof would be that she's out ****ing other guys).