View Poll Results: What to do....
Pop that ish big 17 65.38%
Call, slowplay that snake in the grass 5 19.23%
ZoMg!? perfect spot for a minraise?!!!! 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Stupid \"experts\"

[ QUOTE ]
Of the ones in that poll, Screamin' A. Smith is the worst, but the poll still isn't complete without Skip Bayless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone on Around the Horn too . . .
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM

JOE MORGAN

www.firejoemorgan.com
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merrill Hodge. I used to hate Sean Salisbury as well, but I think he's gotten better over the last couple years and occasionally makes sense now. But Hodge has always been a moron.

That was before the 2004 season. You know, the one where the Eagles went 13-1 in games where they actually cared and went to the super bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always just figure that it has something to do with all of the head shots Hoge took. I'm always amazed at how he can never gleen anything off of Jaws who he is sitting with in a tape room with for half of the week.

Salisbury is an absolute idiot. There is no question in my mind why the guy could never get on the field, it had nothing to do with his physical abilities. I think your just trying to rile me up by saying he has ever made a statment that made sense. He doesn't even make sense whe he is ordering dinner.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM

I hate Hoge for the same reason, his ridiculous hate of the Eagles.

You could basically post the names of every prominent sports media personality in here, cuz almost all of them do suck. I cant really think of one that I like, I guess Wilbon is my favorite. Either that or the Schwab
Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM

I was talking about this the other day. The thing is many "experts" have no qualifications for them to be experts so even though they are frequently giving their opinion there is no reason to hold it in high esteem.

I think a better question would be which "experts" actually are good because most are idiots.

FWIW I think someone like Dick Vitale can be obnoxious but he realistically is a good basketball analyst and understands the game well. My only real fault with him is he isn't critical of people enough because he seems too nice and doesn't want to criticize players.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Vitale knows a ton about the game but he's too wrapped up in "being Dicky V" to be a good analyst. He's painful to listen to.

My favorite "experts" are the guys that either just retired or are still playing but got eliminated from the playoffs... they will never say anything remotely critical or controversial about their colleagues, so you get the most boring, obvious "analysis" imaginable.

Not that anyone asked, but I think Ron Jaworski is the best football analyst I've ever seen and it's a crime he's not doing games every week.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Another problem with "experts" is they maybe experts in one field, but not in others. An obvious example is someone like Bill Simmons who is somewhat of a basketball expert, but horrible at other sports, but the other one is that some are baseball experts, but not economic experts yet still comment on salaries or whatever.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Steve Phillips
Skip Bayless
Jay Mariotti
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Merril Hoge is awesome.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM

1-trick ponies:

baseball - Steve Phillips. I'm rating him worse than Morgan for two reasons:
1. Phillips is on Baseball Tonight. Morgan just calls games.
2. When Morgan is asked for analysis (like his chats that FJM does such a good job with), he basically admits he's retarded and says, "I don't know" and "I can't say" a lot. He knows he's retarded. Phillips acts informed and intelligent but sucks.

Basketball (NBA) - hmm.. this one's actually a little tough. Some of the color guys are tough to listen to (Reggie), but you don't get the Morgan level retardation in basketball. Some of the worst guys like Chad Ford (Darko lol) aren't in the limelight. Reggie's probably the worst color guy, both in terms of analysis and entertainment/listenability (he's like 2 steps away from the boom goes the dynamite kid).

The ESPN crew with Legler and Anthony isn't anything to write home about. Legler is probably worse.