Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Avg. Salary of Wharton Grad debate

[ QUOTE ]
There are a handful of Wharton ugrads who make in the 200-400k range their first year with bonuses as analysts at bulge bracket banks

[/ QUOTE ]
No there's not.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Yeah at most maybe $120-140k-ish, although I guess a trader may earn a bit more bonus upside at a BB, but not 100% sure on that.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah at most maybe $120-140k-ish, although I guess a trader may earn a bit more bonus upside at a BB, but not 100% sure on that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Best undergrad first year salary is like 180k for banking right now. This is including signing bonus, salary and end of the year bonus. Traders will definitely not make more because no first year trader has enough control over anything to get a big enough bonus to beat it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 AM

I have a buddy whose roommate was a superstar for Morgan Stanley his first or second year. He has extenuating circumstances but his boss left in his first year, he took over part of the portfolio did extremely well. For some reason Greenwich Capital (I believe that was the name of the Company) wanted him. He went to the Interview, didn't intend to leave MS. The guy who interviewed him said what do you want, he put 1 million on the sheet. The guy said no problem and that was his base salary as a 23 year old UVA grad. I know he's an exception but it can happen. I don't know what he's doing now (this was 2 years ago) but he was already a VP at the time.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are a handful of Wharton ugrads who make in the 200-400k range their first year with bonuses as analysts at bulge bracket banks

[/ QUOTE ]
No there's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that is what I thought.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a buddy whose roommate was a superstar for Morgan Stanley his first or second year. He has extenuating circumstances but his boss left in his first year, he took over part of the portfolio did extremely well. For some reason Greenwich Capital (I believe that was the name of the Company) wanted him. He went to the Interview, didn't intend to leave MS. The guy who interviewed him said what do you want, he put 1 million on the sheet. The guy said no problem and that was his base salary as a 23 year old UVA grad. I know he's an exception but it can happen. I don't know what he's doing now (this was 2 years ago) but he was already a VP at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM THAT ROOMMATE.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No there's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

I go to Penn. This does happen to some people in good years.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No there's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

not to first-years at BB's.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
First, this is obviously an exception as you said. Second, this was not his first year out of school, which was what I was talking about. This would NEVER happen to someone in their first year out of school. Fwiw, I don't really believe the story as told, but it doesn't conflict with what I said either way.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No there's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

not to first-years at BB's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, it totally happened to this guy his freshman year girlfriend's brother played pickup basketball with.