Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Carnoustie

[ QUOTE ]

Adam Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't he like #4 in the world? Not much of a long shot there Clark. I'll throw Baddely in the group of possible winners, I think he's got a great swing for the British.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Evan,

Adam Scott IS like 4th in the world but I've been reading lately about his troubles in majors and in general. Haven't read too much though but IIRC he had a terrible Open.

As for the British, some of the courses in their rota are wide open enough to not be too punitive to the wayward driver. Carnoustie is not one of these, to say the least. I think an accurate player with a creative, solid short game could be favored. If Tiger can get away with iron-iron into par 4s this could be him.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Adam Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't he like #4 in the world? Not much of a long shot there Clark. I'll throw Baddely in the group of possible winners, I think he's got a great swing for the British.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Baddely just lead the US Open after 3 rounds? Not much of a longshot there.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Ok, so there's really no meaningful golf* until The Open Championship.

Can someone who has played or watched at Carnoustie describe why it is so hard? Maybe compare it to a well-know course like St. Andrews, whose biggest protection seems to be the wind.

*All I have on my DVR is the last day of the LPGA championship.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 PM

I played there early 80s and it wasn't hard-- but it wasn't set up to play hard. There was no wind, no rough, and the rock hard fairways rolled forever.

I can't remember why it was so hard during the 75 Open-- but my mental image is of Tom Watson in rain gear, so I'm guessing weather. In 99 it was weather and narrowly mowed fairways plus high rough (kind of a us open set up but on a links course/conditions).
Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 PM

This thread reminded me of my Carnoustie story. So I hit a nice drive on 18 and I'm beside a bunker and I'm waiting to hit. Some Scottish guy is walking his dog on the course and comes up and points to the bunker, and says in brogue, "That's the Johnny Miller bunker, took him two to get out, and he blew The Open." I nod stupidly, and I'm really thrilled about the whole experience, the course, the day, the history lesson, and where I am in the fairway. He stays to watch as I hit about 3 inches behind the ball and lay sod all over it. end of story.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 PM

While I think Tiger is about 50% versus the field, here are 20 picks for people who will contend. Call it my guess at the top 20. Like I said earlier, I expect a strong showing from the Euros this year.

Euros

Olazabal
Casey
Langer
Poulter
Rose
Howell
Westwood
Karlsson

US

Woods
Kelly
Kim
Moore
Curtis

Internationals

Sabbatini
O'Hern
Goosen
Cabrera
Tim Clark
Oglivy
Green
Old 06-23-2007, 10:25 PM

BBB, you should be IP banned for hating on Tim Clark. Plus twenty guys is a lot of guys. PLUS I would love some 1:1 action on you taking the field vs. Tiger. Unfortunately most of my money is presently tied up in offshore interests so I can only bet like five bucks.

From what I remember of "Carnasty" the ridiculously high rough and very narrow fairways rendered the course incredibly tough under adverse conditions. IIRC most Opens at St. Andrews the winner is double digits under par, yet in 1999 the winning score at Carnoustie was something like +6.

Would do more research and/or find pics but have to be somewhere soon.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said earlier, I expect a strong showing from the Euros this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It's not a Ryder Cup year and it's not the Ryder Cup.

I honestly think they are "due" but it never really seems to pan out for them at a Major.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why? It's not a Ryder Cup year and it's not the Ryder Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I just don't think there are that many Americans playing well right now. I think the way the course will play with rough that is less penal than '99 will be much different than the typical PGA Tour course. Realy though, I'm no expert and don't have a secret info or anything, I just want to get some debate going.