Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: buying first set of clubs, what should i avoid?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont bother with a driver

[/ QUOTE ]

?

I <3 my driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means that since the driver is the most inconsistant club for beginners that it is a good idea to start out with maybe a 3 wood and get good before grippin and rippin it!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 AM

ding ding!

the guy that taught me started me with a 3 wood. when i could hit that more lofted club straight he sold me a driver. if you cant hit a 3 wood straight and high a driver is asking for trouble.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Getting fitted is ludicrous. Get a cheap used set from a used golf store or even a garage sale over new no-name clubs, better value. Just make sure the shafts are "regular" flex, not "stiff." (or extra stiff or senior) So if the shafts have "R" on them, not "S" or "X" or anything else.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting fitted is ludicrous. Get a cheap used set from a used golf store or even a garage sale over new no-name clubs, better value. Just make sure the shafts are "regular" flex, not "stiff." (or extra stiff or senior) So if the shafts have "R" on them, not "S" or "X" or anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEa i think it is crazy to get fit...NOT...once i got fit and got irons that were 1 inch longer my score dropped about 5 strokes and I hit the ball straiter than ever...but to each his own, maybe u are not 6'4 and dont need longer clubs, hince why u think it is dumb

oh yea and good thing i switched from Reg flex to stiff seeing how i have a 100mph swing speed...but again you are right...not getting fit and getting regular flex is the best way to go b/c ldo everyone is the same
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont bother with a driver

[/ QUOTE ]

?

I <3 my driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

to my (limited) knowledge it sounds like a driver is important, anyone mind giving me a list of clubs i can't do without?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do without a driver, 3-iron, and 4-iron.

When I first started, I bought a cheap driver that I can't hit with. I still can't hit with it, not that I can't hit drivers, but because of the material and shaft of it. If you're going to buy a driver, invest in a good one.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YEa i think it is crazy to get fit...NOT...once i got fit and got irons that were 1 inch longer my score dropped about 5 strokes and I hit the ball straiter than ever...but to each his own, maybe u are not 6'4 and dont need longer clubs, hince why u think it is dumb

oh yea and good thing i switched from Reg flex to stiff seeing how i have a 100mph swing speed...but again you are right...not getting fit and getting regular flex is the best way to go b/c ldo everyone is the same

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just buy a cheap iron set off ebay or something if I was the op. Getting fit is not going to do him much good imo b/c his swing will not even close to consistent. If you have extreme characteristics(very tall, very long arms, huge hands etc..)then fitting may allow you to get started more comfortably but standard sets will fit most people good enough until they develop some game. Then you can start fine tuning the lie angles,shaft type,flex,grip and swingweight once you have a swing that is somewhat repeatable. Thats my take on it but you can get fitted if you want.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 PM

I guess this whole topic comes down to how hardcore he is about learning.

If he's really enthused about the game, and really wants to learn. He should probably follow my advice, because IMO, playing non-fitted 1500$ clubs is worse than playing Rams that are fitted to you. I'm just a big proponent of getting everything right the first time, so you know where you stand.

If you just want to take up golf as a once every 3 month activity, then by all means, go as cheap as you can go.

FWIW. Fitting usually doesn't cost much extra on clubs anymore, because they can order them from the factory that way. If you want to go used, I think I got my entire set lengthened one time for like 100$. So that can be a solution too.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM

i just got back from playing, didnt really keep track and just tried some different things out to see what worked. i got the ram g-force set, 4-9 irons, a pitching wedge, a driver, 5 wood, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid. on the 5th hole the head of my 5 wood snapped off, was pissed but just brought it back to store and they gave me another, said it was becoming more and more common. i havent gotten them fitted but ill see into that once i get a bit more experienced. thanks for all the help in this thread, made it a lot easier and was only $150 for the set.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM

That's a pretty decent beginning set.

If after some practice and six or eight rounds you think golf is something you're going to stick with, start setting aside cash for a fitted set of good clubs.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty decent beginning set.

If after some practice and six or eight rounds you think golf is something you're going to stick with, start setting aside cash for a fitted set of good clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

cash isnt a huge problem, i play 2/4 with a decent br and haven't bought anything with poker money so if i find i like this a lot i might do it later this summer