Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Nick Geber... there\'s a fellow named Bart Hanson

its over.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 PM

lame
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 PM

I think the second shortest final table ($1500 NL) featured Bart, that went less than 60 hands.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 PM

Anyone know if there is a downloadable version of this snce the stream is over?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am in the minority, I recognize that Bart has some knowledge, but I just find his commentating style grating. I also found his analysis of the 44 hand for Fox to be quite offbase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with your first sentence (didn't see the 44 hand so I can't comment). I think he just needs to learn that less is more, you don't have to analyze every single hand and potential situation to death to be a good color commentator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Commentary on a live stream is totally different than what you're used to with a pre-recorded event. There's a ton of dead time he has to fill.

I watched a bit and Bart was rocking, but live tourneys are too boring even with Bart doing his best to keep it interesting.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if there is a downloadable version of this snce the stream is over?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be available in the archives usually the following day, but up until this point, only folks who have paid can access them. Not sure if that will still be the case given that this event was a free live webcast.

- T
Old 06-16-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that Alex Jacob is one of the best players with tremendous results recently, but his table demeanor carried over into the booth. Informative, but lacking in presentation. I do feel that he is what is good about today's young players.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all, thanks for the kind words ramon. the event i did color commentary for (event 10, $2000 NL) was of course my first try ever doing commentary with hole cards. i tried my best to call the action as i saw it, of course it was challenging to fill space at times and my voice is not the best i guess.. anyway i'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve if anybody else out there has watched it.. i might have another shot in the booth before the series is over..

aj
Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, thanks for the kind words ramon. the event i did color commentary for (event 10, $2000 NL) was of course my first try ever doing commentary with hole cards. i tried my best to call the action as i saw it, of course it was challenging to fill space at times and my voice is not the best i guess.. anyway i'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve if anybody else out there has watched it.. i might have another shot in the booth before the series is over..

aj

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't realize just how difficult commentating live actually is until you do it. I think you held your own quite well for something that (as you now realize) is quite difficult. Being able to commentate in post production with a script writer and edited hands is a cake walk compared to having to do it live.

I've been fortunate enough to do a couple live poker webcasts with Bart before, and my best advice to you would be to see if you could get Bart in the booth with you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's a case where he's so good at it that he makes the others around him better.

Assuming that isn't possible... the best advice is to be yourself and be honest. If players are playing bad - say so! There's nothing worse than listening to commentators that are holding back their true feelings out of deference to the players. You have proven tournament success to stand on - that gives you credibility to speak your mind. Be honest. If you think the play is horrid or spectacular - chances are most watching will think so too.

Let the audience hear the table talk during big hands or if players are explaining their reasoning for their play at the table.

Highlight the good as well as the bad, and do your research on the players/event history so you have something interesting to talk about during the copious amounts of dead time that you'll have.

One other thing... try to stay away from prop betting while you are commentating. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- T
Old 06-16-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve

[/ QUOTE ]

Get several ex-wives.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve