Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: UTG standards...with warm legs...

The fact that the shorthanded forums have developed (still-evolving) unofficial standards based on everyone's individual PT stats is where I would base my thoughts. We don't all play exactly the same, but compared to others in the game, a lot of us play insanely similar - and for a decision like what to do with 55 UTG I don't think this matters that much anyway. Nobody here is folding 77 UTG and everybody is folding 33 UTG, so you saying "if you can't turn a profit w/ 55 UTG you must be terrible" is clearly an incorrect statement.

Furthermore, empirical evidence aside - yes, being at a table where multiple coldcallers behind are very likely is reason enough for me to assume playing 55 UTG will be -EV. Think about what you do on different flops and turns, and how often you're actually going to be in a situation you like as opposed to one where you're either calling down with third pair or folding the best hand.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He always mucks KTo in the HJ in the vids I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I mucked KTo in the HJ or KJo UTG. I might start mucking KTo if 2 players better than me are doing it.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I mucked KTo in the HJ or KJo UTG. I might start mucking KTo if 2 players better than me are doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always muck KTo in HJ, so make that 3 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM

I raise all of them, but no my sample size in my current DB is not large enough yet (only 130k hands since late March [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] lol donkaments and SNG's) to evaluate the EV.

I also raise KJo UTG and KTo HJ often/almost always, and KTo/QJo UTG sometimes. It's hard work getting the PFR to 21, kids...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM

OK so I guess me opening JTs and QTs sometimes UTG is no good...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also raise KJo UTG and KTo HJ often/almost always, and KTo/QJo UTG sometimes. It's hard work getting the PFR to 21, kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ever thought about loosening up in the CO, OTB and 3betting more in the SB instead of raising more UTG?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM

"I can't remember the last time I mucked KTo in the HJ or KJo UTG. I might start mucking KTo if 2 players better than me are doing it"

And what your PT say about this hand??
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ever thought about loosening up in the CO, OTB and 3betting more in the SB instead of raising more UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I do plenty of that as well, though I think I play somewhat tighter on the button than do many here - if you remove the "steal" possibility from "blind steal", you're just raising in position with 9 hi...
Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up on KJo/utg and KTo/hj a while ago. I used to advocate raising this hands in those spots. Now I fold them with no reads becuz I havent been successful with those hands. Im sure my sample size is still inadequate but thats what Im doing now. KJo utg and KTo hj are now read based plays for me. They are no longer defaults.

BTW I almost never play A9o utg, I fold K9s and 55's utg most of the time also. For those who think thats a big deal, I laugh, cuz it doesnt matter.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I almost never play A9o utg, I fold K9s and 55's utg most of the time also. For those who think thats a big deal, I laugh, cuz it doesnt matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most important takeaway from this thread - these hands are fractions of a BB + or - EV either way. I would say that these hands do tend to be pretty high variance, so if tilt is an issue, probably best to dump em.