Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: OT - what to do during internet outage

[ QUOTE ]
backup dial up is turning out to cost way more than i expected. Ill have to buy a 56k modem for ~ $50. Comcast will have to intall a home phone line (cause i dont have/need one beofre htis) thats $25/mth. and then the ISP is like $10/mth.

there has to be something cheaper than $35/mth plus modem cost...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can probably buy a modem jig for your cell phone.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM

My regular internet is cable. I have backup lite-high speed DSL, which I have to use once every couple of months or so. It's a rip off at $37/month, but what can I do? I've already easily saved the money from it.

Ryan
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
email stars they'll refund you

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't count on this. I did this once and they gave me nothing and I'm Supernova.

Ryan
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My regular internet is cable. I have backup lite-high speed DSL, which I have to use once every couple of months or so. It's a rip off at $37/month, but what can I do? I've already easily saved the money from it.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

do you need a home phone line for DSL service? id like to find a solution where i dont also have to pay 25/mth (comcast ripoff, mabye someone else is cheaper) for a homephone line that i'll never otherwise use...
Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM

Find out what unlimited internet will cost for your cell phone, then see if there's a USB cable for it that will let you use it as a modem. The internet with the cell phone will also come in handy if you're waiting at the airport, need to surf the net at a real job, etc.

Even if that doesn't work, you said this outage cost you $500. One more this year, and you will save money with backup DSL for the year at $25-40 per month. DSL will be fast enough to let you keep multitabling at full strength without interruption. Can you trust comcast to have fewer than 2 outages per year?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:20 AM

Call a friend to finish the set, then go ride a bike for an hour. It'll do you both good and costs nothing....

Unless your friend really sucks at poker.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 PM

I don't have a home phone line but they charge me $10/month extra because of this.

Ryan
Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 AM

I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago, I had 6 SNGs open, ITM on one, on the bubble of 5, internet goes out for 6 hours, first outage in AGES, but ugh ugh. The next day I went and bought a bluetooth adapter for my laptop so I can log in through my cell phone in a pinch. Still haven't figure out how to get it working though, and I've been in many sessions where if the internet went out again I'd be out a few hundred in buyins (and more in EV depending what stage it dies, that's the real burn!).

I only have 2 friends online I trust to play my account but they're not on a lot, and noone I know in real life can play except 1 guy who is never around. I'm also worried there's a like 2% chance if I give an online friend my account to finish it, he'll go blow my money playing high stakes games. God I wish I could just ship my acct. balance to Neteller daily and only leave enough in there for what I need that day.

I'm off topic. in summary: I feel you man, and yeah, try to hook it up with your cell phone somehow. Mine costs a ton per kilobyte of transfer, but if you're in like $500 of sngs, it's cheap, might cost like $10 or something of data transfer.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM

Seconding, or thirding, or whatever, the phone route. I personally have a Sprint SERO plan with the motorola Q. $30 a month, www.sprint.com/sero enter email: savings@sprintemi.com
Plan has unlimited internet, and the motorola Q can tether undetected with a program called pdanet. Pretty fast internet too if you have evdo. Oh, and plus there's rebates on the phone that make it free.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM

I was just looking into this and my cable provider said they'll give me dial-up for $10/month.
Also, I've been working on finding a backup power source if anyone has advice in the computer section