Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Whats the Universe expanding into?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you find a source so we can further research this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. I looked all over the place. It's a mystery.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book The Science of God, by Schroeder talks about this in detail. I've long since lost my copy, but it was interesting and talked about the different time frames of the universe. From the perspective of earth, the universe is 15 billion ( or something like that ) years old, but from the perspective of the big bang, the universe is only thousands of years old. I'm probably butchering my paraphrase and getting the physics wrong, but check out the book if you are interested in something like this.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe God did this in order to trick those with weak faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe God thought you would listen to Him.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No source? That's okay, I'll trust you. I've never heard any false information from a creationist.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

The book The Science of God, by Schroeder talks about this in detail. I've long since lost my copy, but it was interesting and talked about the different time frames of the universe. From the perspective of earth, the universe is 15 billion ( or something like that ) years old, but from the perspective of the big bang, the universe is only thousands of years old. I'm probably butchering my paraphrase and getting the physics wrong, but check out the book if you are interested in something like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with books like that is it seems they are taking the Bible and trying to fit science to it rather than looking at the data objectively. Show me a physicist without an agenda saying the same thing.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No source? That's okay, I'll trust you. I've never heard any false information from a creationist

[/ QUOTE ]

Surpise, surprise - I'm not the source. Aw, now ya gotta try agin.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Show me a physicist without an agenda saying the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such animal.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The book The Science of God, by Schroeder talks about this in detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the cite. Did a quick search and think I will buy it. As it turns out, from what I can tell, he's not a Christian, but an Israeli Jew. He also has a new book along the same lines which looks interesting. One other thing I found, he and his arguments seem to have been somewhat influential in convincing Flew to become a deist, and they have a dvd set out. Just stating what I found from a quick buzz around the net.

From Wiki:

Dr. Gerald Schroeder is a former professor of nuclear physics at MIT and former member of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. He holds doctorates both in Earth Science and Nuclear Physics. He is the author of Genesis and the Big Bang, The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom, and The Hidden Face of God.

His web site.

Just gets better and better. From his web site:

[ QUOTE ]

In essence, the 15 billion years of cosmic history compress into six 24 hour days, even as the hours remain 24 hours as we know them and the billions of years remain years. Einstein and the laws of relativity, a part of the divinely created laws of nature provide the explanation

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM

Have you read any criticism of Schroeder's argument by other physicists? Or do you just cherry pick for the rare person who agrees with your insulting (to God, if he existed) interpretation of the universe and the bible?

You read criticism of Dawkins but not Dawkins; You read a (nonsense) God-time dilation theory, but not criticism of same theory. I'd say you are extremely closed minded.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you read any criticism of Schroeder's argument by other physicists?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you or do you just automatically mindlessly criticize anything you can't understand or that questions your narrow, bigoted worldview?

[ QUOTE ]

You read criticism of Dawkins but not Dawkins;

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably read more Dawkins that you have of any theologian.

[ QUOTE ]

You read a (nonsense) God-time dilation theory,

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it's nonsense because you, too, have a Ph.D. in nuclear physics from MIT?

FWIW, I looked for criticisms of S. and found one by someone whose credentials I didn't see and which didn't give any specific scientific arguments against the main point of the age of the universe. One of his books has been out since 1998 I think so why aren't there more debunkings? I also read 4 pages of Amazon reviews of the book and saw that the only negative criticisms didn't give any scientific arguments but spewed the same animus in which you love to indulge.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the Universe expanding into?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Sklansky's Cranium.

Much to the objection of PTB.

I thought this was obvious.

-Zeno: Master of the Universe
Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't think you looked very hard to find criticisms of Schroeder. Here's a pretty extensive one:

http://www.talkreason.org/articles/schroeder.cfm

Why not more criticism of him? Probably because the scientific community doesn't take him very seriously, they leave that up to the debunking squads. As a general rule, the scientific community doesn't bother with the creationist crowd as it has no reason to, they reject the arguments prima facia. Real scientists do real science work, not argue endlessly about scientific points settled years ago.