Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Personal security, disaster prepardness, and what are you doing?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have an assload of water in the huge jugs from Arrowhead,

[/ QUOTE ]

You may know this already, but that water is not intended for longterm storage. Eventually bacteria will start to grow. If you pack the water yourself, you can treat it.

Gasoline is similar. Treat it with stabilizer for longterm storage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that, thanks. Currently, I rotate it: I had way more water than I needed delivered once, and then drink the oldest and store the newest. I've always got 10 5-gallon bottles on hand.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disaster prepardness?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you afraid of? Zzzzzzzzhhhhaaaayyyyy Germans!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Everything you said seemd perfect to me with the exception of getting nonlethal. If anything get the double lethal version. Maybe a 12 ga 00 buck

I'm serious about getting lethal. Some crazed 250lb guy on meth would prolly need a lil more than the nonlethal.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

this thread really confuses me. One of my earliest memories was the SF Bay Area Earthquake. I was 7 years old and we lost power for 3 days. My dad and I walked to the grocery store, bought some water and meat, grilled the meat and drank the water. We had some flashlights and stuff i guess, but what are you guys preparing for? It seems like having a shotgun as part of your emergency kit leans more towards wanting to shoot someone than it does wanting to survive during a disaster. I guess i just dont understand why the guns and like MRE's and stuff. It all seems beyond excessive imo.

while i disagree with what metetron said about the ATM's(powerloss ftl), he is on the right track. the most important thing to have around in an emergency:

CASH.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM

PITTM,

Katrina is what really freaked me out. I think the scale of disaster in that case was much, much, worse than the Bay Area earthquake. The reason to have a weapon is because I live in LA and if the government is crippled enough I'm worried about looting and want to be able to scare scavengers out of my house. That said, I really doubt my house if the first one the looters will hit so it's not super-high on my priority list.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Part of my motivation is simply a means of testing myself. Can I live without a phone? Yes, and I virtually do (I hate phones). Can I live without TV? Yes, and I have for most of my life. Can I live with no a/c? No electricity?

When I was a child, I wondered how it would be to live in pioneering days. I read a lot, and I said that someday I was going to live a pretty primative lifestyle. I guess I do, in many ways.

I like to be very self-sufficient.

I don't think about a time, or dwell on a day when I would be cut off from easily accessed supplies, but I do feel good knowing that I could do it, if I had to.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread really confuses me. One of my earliest memories was the SF Bay Area Earthquake. I was 7 years old and we lost power for 3 days. My dad and I walked to the grocery store, bought some water and meat, grilled the meat and drank the water. We had some flashlights and stuff i guess, but what are you guys preparing for? It seems like having a shotgun as part of your emergency kit leans more towards wanting to shoot someone than it does wanting to survive during a disaster. I guess i just dont understand why the guns and like MRE's and stuff. It all seems beyond excessive imo.

while i disagree with what metetron said about the ATM's(powerloss ftl), he is on the right track. the most important thing to have around in an emergency:

CASH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its two seperate areas, that overlap. The gun is for home security, disaster or no, I want to be able to defend myself if someone is breaking into my apartment. Not many people have ever had to live more than 7 days w/o electricity, gas, etc. Im not preparing for 3 days of lost power, that is a joke, any moran can figure out how to not die then, but what happens if it was a month or two?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM

portable satellite phone, it's like the only communication device you're 100% sure will be usable. Plus with a laptop you can surf the net and play poker while everyone else is dying. On the minus side it costs a lot (well, like 1+grand)

but really, all you need is enough firepower to mug the local survival geek and steal his stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
portable satellite phone, it's like the only communication device you're 100% sure will be usable. Plus with a laptop you can surf the net and play poker while everyone else is dying. On the minus side it costs a lot (well, like 1+grand)

but really, all you need is enough firepower to mug the local survival geek and steal his stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...ina_satellite/
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Good thread. I need to do more at home. Last night was a power outage and it got me thinking. We had some lights on hand, but if the power were out for 5-10 days things would suck. I did finally put together some kits for the cars last winter. These bags have enough to keep going for a while in a bad situation. Not comfortably probably, but I thought of needs for say a couple of days stuck in the car or what you might want at an emergency shelter. In general people aren't prepared enough. I know we aren't and I think about it from time to time. Most people don't even think about it.