Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: The Way it Really Is

I think the important thing is we get our money in with the best of it.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: The Way it Really Is

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you enjoy it when you cop a terrible beat? Or an extreme series of them?

Winning money and copping terrible beats are related. But beats feel terrible when they happen. That's what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nobody enjoys taking bad beats. But I think many of us want to own both sides of the coin. How often do we say "I didn't deserve such a big pot. Two people called bets on the turn and river and neither had odds to call past the flop."? We think we're somehow 'owed' the extra bets that poor players routinely put into the pot and then we get upset when those players get lucky and borrow some of those bets back.

Watch the TV pros. They take horrible beats all the time and generally just shrug their shoulders and wait for the next hand. Sometimes they don't even shrug their shoulders. I'm sure it hurts inside, but they recognize the beats as part of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching High Stakes Poker, I saw an amazing reaction to a really horrible beat. Ted Forrest reached into his pocket and dropped two $25K chips on the table and sat back down. He had absolutely no look on his face whatsoever.

That is a true professional poker player.

OP, while Theory of Poker is the source, SSHE is the Bible. Go and read, with all haste, and read it many times.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Is chasing higher ranked hands ever justified?

I really pissed a guy off the other day when I called his PF raise in the BB holding 64s. I flopped a straight, he flopped a set of fives. I check raised him on the turn and the river. All I could tell him was that he hadn't been at the table when I got rivered seven times in the previous 90 minutes with backdoor flushes, inside straight draws, etc. Did I feel guilty raking in the pot? Hell no...

I won't chase an inside straight draw or a BDF draw, but I must admit that I've never met a flush draw I didn't like. Give me Axs or Kxs and I'll see a flop with it every time.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I won't chase an inside straight draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you if you have the odds? I find at my loose passive 2/4 B&M table that more often than not I have the implied odds to see the turn chasing a gutshot, and sometimes even the river.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Sure, if the pot's big enough.. and there's not two of a suit on the board.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 PM

lol count
Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Bad thinking on my part Babar? I respect your thinking, so if it's funny for a bad reason do tell....
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM

sorry. i just don't see why two of a suit on board would affect our gutshot draw if we have odds...in o8, yes, maybe, but not in holdem really...people don't always have the flushdraw. getting 10:1 or better on a gutshot with two suited on board, and folding, is gonna be -EV in the long run.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM

No need to be sorry. I haven't done the math on it, so I'm not saying your wrong, but in my seat of the pants view I don't like chasing a four-outer when someone else is (or may be) chasing a nine-outer at the same time. (If I have, say, bottom pair w/ a gutshot draw of course I'm probably staying) But then I confess to being generally risk-averse... except of course for my penchant for playing Kxs (and sometimes even Qxs if I can limp) from any position =]