Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Spots where calling with the nuts is correct on the flop?

Well what happen here was I decided to flat call the flop. For one I had people yet to act, and while I can flat call with the nuts on this board, I still have to worry about others behind me as well as the original raiser on the flop. Basically I didn't want to be in a spot where if I raised and someone behind me flat called or the original raiser called that it would make someone draw for a flush or fullhouse.

I wanted to see a good turn card where your equity can change drastically vs. huge draws before I stuck in the rest of the stack. Again, I wanted to keep as much money out of the pot as possible in the event I was getting freerolled. I believe if I pushed here, I may as well turn over my cards and it would be pretty obvious of what I had.

Also, I don't mind giving up one free turn card if it brings in action. If I am up against the same hand, I honestly wouldn't mind others drawing against us, as if we chop the pot, we will be getting value from the lesser straights and draws and I know that I have the ability to get away from this hand if I do indeed get outdrawn

So because of all this I decided to flat call.

Everyone folded out behind me and the original raiser called the flop and 3 of us saw a turn.

The turn gave me a fullhouse with the Js.

Both villians checked to me and I bet out a half pot size bet. (I wasn't really thinking when I did this and think it was a huge error). I bet wanting to get information, as I still wasn't excited about my hand. I knew that if I got played back at I wouldn't like the spot I was in. Fortunately both oppoonents folded and I took down the pot.

I was happy to take down the pot even with such a strong hand. I'm sure I missed out on some value here, but this is kind of a spot that even with such a strong hand it will be hard to get a ton of value vs worse hands I think.

Any comments on the turn play welcome as well.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:01 AM

I like checking behind the turn, you are unlikely to get outdrawn and you are more likely to get paid by a worse hand if you wait till the river.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:02 AM

In fact I check bottom full house a lot on the turn in all situations where a bet went in on the flop, I play bigger full houses faster hoping to get paid by the little ones.