Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Is Mayo actually that bad for you...?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mayo Clinic -
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like we're going to get an unbiased opinions on condiments from the Mayo Clinic.

[/ QUOTE ]

zing
Old 06-05-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The harvard link seems to suggest that the idea of a "low fat" diet doesn't carry much merit anymore. They cite a few studies to suggest that overall fat intake isn't correlated with adverse health effects. Health wise it's about good fat vs bad fat.

I think "low fat, high carb" diet is a misguided remnant from like 20 yrs ago.

After reading the harvard page (which i suppose is the thing i've ever really read on nutrition) I was left with the notion that it'd be fine to eat as much unsaturated fat as I want as long as I keep the calories in check. I'm not sure why they still say you should only take 35% of your calories in fat then. If you stay away from potatoes and white bread, how can you make up for all those carb calories? I do'nt think it's possible to eat that many vegtables.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pretty much everything i've read shows that a diet low in fat does not reduce the likelyhood of heart disease...its just important not to go crazy and be out of balance, it also helps to show that not all fat is bad and that fat doesn't make you fat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM

agreed.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM

if you love mayo you can make your own its like olive oil, eggs, lemon juice and mustard powder i think. just whip in blender.

But since it's natural it will spoil in a couple days.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:41 PM

from the t-nation.com super thread "recipes with photos"

Chef Lisa Marie wrote:

I love making my own mayo. This is one of the first things they taught us how to make at School.

A few points:
Always use fresh eggs: old eggs will not hold an emulsification as well as fresh eggs.

Use room temperature ingredients: this will create a better emulsification.

Try using 1 whole egg instead of just yolks: It has better stabilization but, the texture will suffer a bit.

Add oil very slowly at first: this is the most delicate time where the emulsification is most likely to break. Once about 1/4 or your oil is incorporated the sauce will be more stable and you can add the oil faster.

Here's the recipe I use:
Makes 1 quart

Mayonnaise

Ingredients
3 oz egg yolk (about 3 large eggs) or 2 yolks 1 whole
1 1/2 pints olive oil
1-2 oz lemon juice (fresh)
1 oz water
2 tsp dry mustard
salt, white pepper and other seasonings

Method
1. Blend the yolks with a bit of water, 1 tsp lemon juice, and mustard powder a bit of salt and pepper.
2. Add the oil a tiny bit at a time wisking or blending completely until it is all incorporated after each addition. (you can use a blender or a food processor to make this sauce for easier mixing) If using a blender or food processor just pour a very steady VERY thin stream of oil as you blend.
3. Adjust the thickness by adding a bit more lemon juice or water as you go. If the mixture gets too thick it will not incorporate the oil and it will break.
4. Incorporate all the oil and then adjust the flavor with salt and pepper and any other herbs or spices you like.

This is the step that most people have trouble with. How do you know it's too thick? What if you make it too thin? This is just trial and error. You will probably break more mayo than you actually get to use when you first start making it..but, once you "get it" you will always be able to tell when it's getting too thick.

Just gonna jump in here both feet first! I make homemade mayo with a stick blender, it never fails and takes all of 2 minutes from start to finish. Because the stick blender is sooooo easy, I can use eggbeaters with no problem. So my mayo is:

1/4 cup eggbeaters
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup olive oil
Use the jar that the stick blender
came with. Place ingredients in order listed.
Use fresh lime or lemon juice.
Put stick blender down to the bottom of the jar WITHOUT turning it on. Then start it and, rocking side to side, slowly pull it up to the top. Voila! Fresh mayo with the most wonderful taste, in about 6 or 7seconds.

Probably not considered real mayo with the eggbeaters, and you'd want to use canola oil or such if you don't like the taste of EVOO. I love it, though-don't enjoy *regular* mayo anymore.