Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Brother received a $9k wire transfer, no clue where it\'s from

2 years ago, BofA in Vegas (Paradise Valley branch) 'lost' an incoming wire for my account. They bounced it back to a clearing house in NY, eventually I got the money 5 days later. Only for it to be credited again, I never said anything, it took them nearly 6 months to come and get the extra payment, not once did they tell me they had done so.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 AM

If it were any number other than $9k, I wouldn't worry about it. Given that it is $9k, the magic money laundering number, I'd leave it alone and hope it goes away. The number just conjurs up images of some guy named Pablo and his "friends" showing up at your door wanting to know where the money is.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 AM

$174 was deposited in my checking account one day last week. My wife saw this online in the afternoon. By the time I got home that night, that error had already been corrected. We never had to contact the bank.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM

That reminds me of a good robbery story I heard. A guy was a janitor for a major bank and he was allowed in a special room where they posted the pass codes for large wire transfers. So he goes in, gets the code, when the manager who knows him steps out to lunch, he leaves and makes a phone call for a large (seven figures) wire to a specific account--he's got the right code and it all checks out (he's done some set up work). His buddy is at the bank, immediately withdraws it (which again, has already been set up and planned for) and buys a bunch of expensive but not uncommon diamonds. They board a plane without setting off the security, and sell them over time. I assume they were caught if I'm hearing the story, but it seemed like a pretty decent plan IMHO.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 AM

OP, last Friday I discovered the employment agency had paid me my wages twice by mistake. I read a lot on the Internet about overpayment / receiving funds in error, and the long and the short of it is you ALWAYS have to pay it back. It isn't your money; someone's going to want it back. Sorry about that.

I did the good thing and phoned the agency to let them know; I kinda felt bad about it since they hadn't noticed, but I'm sure they would have eventually, some time in the future when I'd long since spent it!